Similar games to Avernum/Geneforge/Avadon?

Nefarian

Hey guys, not sure if this is the best/correct place but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for games similar to what Spiderweb's been pumping out.

I've played through every single Spiderweb game and I've loved them...just waiting for the Avernum 2 release now.

In the meantime though, I'm still trying to get my fix. Can anyone recommend me some games to this tune/similar?

Have you already played the old classic isometric RPGs like Fallout, Baldur's Gate or Planescape: Torment? If you haven't, get on that -- you can find plenty of 'em at Good Old Games, updated to work on modern computers. If you've already played most of those older games and are looking for something new, the field gets a little thinner.

Spiderweb games have been awesome, until today.

I want to play games like it, sadly, I haven't found games similar to Geneforge, with the sci-fi unique feel. The closest I've found is, to be honest, Thief. I was still using my netbook that time so I avoided mainstream games and sticked to the old games. Thief was my first first-person rpg and when I got my first shortsword, I was like "Woah! This is like Geneforge in first person and you relied on quick-thinking rather than the strategic stuff Geneforge has!" Then next came Skyrim, which felt more sandbox than Thief. But the feels disappeared quickly.

If I had the time, I'd study modding in Skyrim then recreate an immersive Geneforge mod I bet Trenton would help me :3

As has been mentioned earlier, you can find all of the Ultima I through Ultima 7 at GoG. Many of these games are unqualified classics, and if you can get past the dated graphics and mechanics, you're in for a treat. Ultima 4 is personally my favorite game, although I suspect there might be a large component of nostalgia to my impression.

Ultima 1 and Ultima 3 through 5 have a world map with separate town and dungeon maps like Exile. (But the dungeons are explored in 1st person perspective.) Ultima 6 and 7 have unified maps more like Avernum 4 through 6.

These are old games: they can be unforgiving. You won't get a map without expending a peering gem (which can be expensive), and you will find yourself drawing your own maps on graph paper. However, the challenge is accompanied with a sense of accomplishment when you reach the end of the games, and you may find yourself thinking about the philosophy in the stories as much as the plot.

Most old games (basically games before 1998) arent worth playing for most if not all rpg gamers. They are good for 1 thing, that is the accomplish that you beat them. Otherwise they are more aggravation than they are fun. Drawing a map is not something I would consider I should have to do to play a game.

I think its hilarious when people on gogames say-And after you read the manual and go over the field guide (spending 2 hours in the process) you can actually play the game.

When they take an old concept and deliver in a more current time period- (That is the best way of experiencing that old school feeling).

Baldurs Gate 1 and Fallout 1 were both in 1998. They were a little unforgiving, but here's the catch-there is a gamebanshee guide for both of them which is outstanding, and a number of other faqs. But here's an interesting thing-With some of the older games, there isnt even a map listed online or a guide. So if you get stuck you literally have hours and hours of aggravation.

I would gather that with all notions aside any rpg below year 1998 is not worth playing because of the reasons listed. There are also likely to be better games that maybe came out in 2004-present. Just my 2 cents.

Most old games (basically games before 1998) arent worth playing for most if not all rpg gamers.

You're painting with an awfully broad brush. Maybe because I was playing them when they were *new*, I don't recall "hours and hours" of frustration. Maybe expectations were different, then. (Maybe I just enjoy tedium?)

Drawing a map is not something I would consider I should have to do to play a game.

Using a pencil and paper? How barbaric!

Of course modern features like automapping have stuck around because they improve the gaming experience. But don't rule out games merely because they precede the introduction of these features.

I would gather that with all notions aside any rpg below year 1998 is not worth playing because of the reasons listed.

I still play the Might and Magic series (starting at 3 -- 1991). And they have automap.