Teleportation Technique

Grain of Salt

I have created a new technique for player teleportation that can be forced or voluntary, and can have multiple destinations. You could use it for an in-town day/night cycle too.

The basic gist of it is that every walkable terrain in the scenario calls local special 45 (or whatever) when you walk on it. The party recieves a special item (the teleportation item) that gives them special item 3 (or whatever). Special 45, in towns where you want to allow teleportation, checks for special item 3. If the party has it, the node removes it from them and does a forced stariway.

I have tested this, and it does work. However, I cannot believe that little old me was the first to think of this. Has anyone thought of this before?

Holy cwap that's pure genius! Wow, you could even have a text input (talking to an orb, say) and it'd be easy to define the key words, because you know the town names! Holy cwap you're a genius!

EDIT: The first thing I thought when I read your post was that it would slow the game down a lot, calling a special that often (every turn). Though I suppose it'd have to be tested to determine that. Maybe I don't know what I'm yakking about.

Sweet.

EDIT: I move that Wonko get's the title "Resident BoE Genius" (or that I get the title "Sir Talks-too-much-for-his-own-good").

EDIT2: I got the impression that it might slow it down because of a reference in the help manual that a town timer called too often may slow a scenario down, and I've never really played with that enough to know what it's talking about.

Quote:
Originally written by Desert Pl@h:

I move that Wonko get's the title "Resident BoE Genius"
laugh

Ash, thank you. That's a much better idea than what I was using. I was using SDF's and special items, but I can just use special items only now. Heck, I could even have you choose a town and and then have the resulting item be usable so you could choose a location in the town!

The only sad thing is that I am likely to not be able to use this. My current scenario is a small towns-only thing about gremlins, and I have no idea what I'll be doing after that. That said, I give anyone else express permission to use this in their scenarios, provided that you just mention me in some small way in the readme file or something.

Yeah, soon as I get started on that scenario based around the word "meat" (thank you very much, Thuryl).

I actually have a few options with that, BTW. I could go the route of Kingdom of Loathing (if you don't know, look it up), and have meat be the currency in a ridiculous kingdom. I could have meat as one of the proto-missions in a bigger story ("son, I need you to fetch some meat at the store" then the town is attacked while you're there) that's a rather lame excuse, though. Or I could think of something totally unrelated to the concept of meat and just have something sound similar or some other loophole.

Quote:
Originally written by Desert Pl@h:
EDIT: I move that Wonko get's the title "Resident BoE Genius"
While it's a good idea for sure, that might be a bit premature. Drizzt, for example, did teleportation (though by a completely different mechanism) ages ago in Shadow Of The Stranger.

EDIT: The technique may be of more use in an all-towns scenario, by the way. With the caveat that I don't necessarily know what I'm talking about (as I have demonstrated in embarassing fashion recently), I think stairway nodes can only be called in towns. You could even use it at one point to get into the gremlins' cave/hideout/whatever when the door's locked and barred. smile

Ash, I'm not sure you realize the gravity of this method. I don't remember Drizzt's method (I never got far enough in Shadow of a Stranger to figure it out), but this allows teleportation from any town at any time to any town. You could do an easy time machine with it! You wouldn't ever have to worry about it being an all-towns scenario. You get done talking to Mayor Shifty about delivering something to whoever in whatever city, then you just teleport right in front of him to the town!

Maybe you do realize the gravity, and are just better at not spazing about things…

I must humbly agree with Ash. Drizzt's system involved setting VTE flags and then using Word of Recall. It was much simpler, if only usable outdoors. Special Spells and and Animations are certainly more deserving of a "Genuis Award" than this.

That said, I've realized that you'd need to add a Relocate Outdoors special as well, to avoid reappearing back where you started. You could abuse that, though. I had the idea of a special spell, called "Safe Haven", that uses this to transport you to a place with friendly merchants and a place to rest and such. You would then leave normally and be right back where you started!

In a town-only scenario this system would be easiest.

(EDIT: Oh, that had already been said, didn't notice...)

Or teleporting inside town is one possibility.

In case the destination of the teleport is not controlled by the player, it might be interesting to try a teleport spell/device in every town, not knowing where you'll end up or how you'll get out of there...