Do the early Geneforges give benefits to excess Mechanics skill?

There is also the adjustment for your level versus the level Jeff thought you should be so you maybe too high to get any.

I just went through the first zone to check... and thoughtlessly grabbed the first key. Fortunately, there's a lock at the end that doesn't have a key. Six points in Mechanics was more than enough to pick it without any living tools. Result: no experience, and no message indicating that experience may have been obtained in other circumstances.

GF2 definitely gives experience for Mechanics-based solutions, in general. GF1 definitely doesn't. To the best of my knowledge, none of the GFs give a message if you're too high a level to get experience from something but otherwise would.

So my guess is that Randomizer's explanation accounts for what went on in your case.

GF2 definitely gives experience for Mechanics-based solutions, in general. GF1 definitely doesn't.

I should make clear that I am referring to G1.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the GFs give a message if you're too high a level to get experience from something but otherwise would.

I can verify that in G1 you receive a message for turning in a quest or killing something when your level is too high...

(You're too high level to get experience from this.)