I broke the first rule of the corruption club

Vee

Spoilers for the main quest might follow!

So, I've reached the corruption and gone to the border land zone. I entered the tower (where the pact soldiers are) and drank from a basin in there. It said "Nothing happened. As far as you can tell." Or something to that effect. Did I just make a biiiiiig mistake? Or am I being psyched out by Mr. Vogel?

8D

... Okay, so I'm a bit further than this and I've found explicitly corrupted pools of water, complete with sippy cups and crazy straws nearby (not really, but it is a direct "say, want a taste?" option). You'd think seeing blue would be a better sign, but seeing as I'm in a cave, and a pink reflection of the stone above would actually be less disconcerting, I'm justifyaby hesistent. The corrupted spiders nesting nearby are also a sign that perhaps drinking what looks like windex is a bad idea.

Having already seen what this water does to at least that poor gent in Avadon, I'm really, really, really not as thirsty as the dialog suggests. But I do have to ask, dear Hands, what really DOES happen when you drink the unspeakably evil, explictly poisonous water, potentially soul stealing water?

Corruption water is not water in basins that look like other basins you find, in both A1 and A2. Corruption water is, as we've established

the unspeakably evil, explictly poisonous water, potentially soul stealing water[/Quote]

and it's in a taller, thinner basin.

A text box appears if you approach it: "you know you shouldn't drink this water, but it looks so clear and refreshing..." then giving you the option to drink. If you do, you take a few swallows and then it suddenly seems disgusting.

Having chugged it down all four times, I can tell y'all that the only effect it has during the game is that in the final Miranda fight, once you've severely damaged her she throws some kind of effect at you that's meant to infect you with the Corruption, rip your soul out, whatever. It doesn't work, and she realizes that you've already got it in you, freaks out a bit and then reasons that you're not going to have the chance to die horribly later because she's going to kill you horribly right now. (Also, the construct that talks to you while you're hunting Miranda says something to the effect of, "you're one of us, you know that the intruder must be expelled for the Pure Land to maintain balance...")

Then in the ending texts, after the wrap-ups about how you fare in your new position, whatever it is, and the fates of all your companions, it's revealed that you eventually start to get very sick, nightmares, scales on your skin and so on. Avadon healers can't do a thing, and you know that the Corruption's come home to roost. But it doesn't kill you, and Avadon figures that as long as you're still doing competent work in this now-splintered land, they can accept your disfigurements.

That's it.

Edited by eaintree

I totally ate some dirt ham from around base D. I'm proud to say no enhancements resulted from drinking water at the tower. I did find one of the basins later in the corruption which gives you the "sooo refreshing!" option described above, so that's definitely a thing! I did not choose to drink of it.

I'm glad other people are apparently as into the food/drink aspect of the game as I am!