Loyalty? Character quests?

Stbassy

I've just started this game, and I've read there are NPC quests that affect loyalty... I was wondering, do I have to use an NPC on specific missions? Or use them for X number of missions?

If so on either question, will I get in game hints when where I should bring a specific character?

(Preferably, I want to just use my favorite chars, but for completion sake, I'm guessing I'll have to swap someone out eventually)

At certain points, an NPC will run off on their own to do a personal quest. If you don't care about getting them back, you can ignore them. If you do want them back, you'll have to go after them and assist them on their quest, for which you have to have them in your party once you track them down and reunite with them.

On the NPCs' personal quests you'll be faced with choices. There's nothing subtle about what your party members want, but their wishes will conflict with other priorities. You'll have to decide whether keeping them happy is worth whatever else you'd have to give up. But don't worry, you can't miss out on loyalty and the results aren't surprises.

—Alorael, who also thinks it's worth pointing out that he went through virtually the entire game with the same party. He experimented a bit, and there are a few times when a slightly different party is handy, but it's fine to use some characters only on their loyalty quests, when they will put themselves in your party and not leave until you're done, one way or another.

There are four loyalty missions, during each mission, you will have to change your party to include the character whose loyalty quest it is (assuming you choose to do the loyalty missions). There are not hints, unless you consider getting hit in the head with a baseball bat subtle. It is blindingly obvious that you have to include the appropriate NPC in your party. Outside of those four quests, you can easily use your character and the same two NPCs for all of the other quests, there is no minimum number.