Just started the game, need tips for shadowwalker

darnock

The passive bonus skills in the middle column are good for most classes, but especially for the Shadowwalker. The left and right columns both have their advantages, too; Shadowstep's AoE status effects can help you out early on, but later on they become less reliable and you'll want Razor Spray for direct damage. Both of the class's top-tier skills are a bit underwhelming, so you might want to forget about building toward one and invest in all three columns.

The best thing with shadowwalker is that they are not heavy with a large health pool as the blade master. However they can take more hits when they DO get hit due to high physical resistance. Im not a big number cruncher but I would say shadowalkers hold a resistance score on par with fighters in Avernum The Pit, that is if you go all middle column.

Go dex and endurance like others said. The best thing about them is that they can leap around the place and provide excellent tactics in battle. They also deal on par damage with blade masters in ranged combat.

With 2 attacks per round once you invest in first middle column, they are overpowered in my opinion.

Rogues are usually always the fragile character who can't fight as well as fighter but usually comes off better and more versatile. Look at Avadon. Just like Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 and even Planescape, thieves are better than fighters in nearly anything other than taking hits. I went through Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition with 2 single class thieves-My shadow dancer and imoen. Imoen didn't even have to get her hands dirty. I backstabbed Sarevok 3 times within 10 seconds killing him without his casters proving a threat. Imoen had the monopoly game ready for me when I got back.

Planescape is another one for rogues as they can get a close match of health to a fighter as their hp gain is matched when you add to con. Also backstab is just as good if not better in Planescape as you reach lvl 21 at game end. That gives you almost 200 health, decent thaco/damage as you still get specialized mastery in weapons, backstab at x5 and ability to hide in major boss fights like endgame.

The rogue class is only nerfed in Icewind Dale as they can't hide at all. There was something wrong with hide mode. Still sneak attack though.

Anyway back on track.

Rogues usually dominate these games with versatility. Avernum's the only one that really doesn't as there really are no classes. Im sure if you really wanted to label the rogue class in Avernum it would be a strong fighter that almost has an emphasis on dexterity and grace rather than brute force like fighter with strength and endurance. Thats just my interpretation.

I still think fighters would dominate avernum, no contest as rogues can't evade everything.

Jeff underestimated Dex, hehe.

If you spend every point in it, you can dodge 75% of the attacks and the other 25% won't do much thanks to the high armor.

As for skills I max the razordisks first, it does more damage than any melee weapon you could find.

If you spend every point in dexterity you'll get massacred by enemies with poison, acid, and cold attacks (evasion for these attack types is based on endurance, not dexterity, and it's not like you'll have the HP to take them head on without endurance). Dex is the most important stat overall, but you really do need some points in endurance, especially on higher difficulties.