A:EftP - Mr. Hawthorn with sword and shield

Hmm..this is an actually good discussion. What would happen if Mr. Hawthorn was to undergo a transformation. If he were trained as a fighter instead of as a jester, would he actually pose a threat when you fight him in the main throne room. The problem is that he was trained in the arts of embezzlement and hilarity but he should have picked up a few levels in combat skills. The biggest problem with Hawthorn is that he only knows how to laugh at his opponents when they are getting bushwacked by his golems and other fiends. Sometimes you need to know how to take a few hits. I definitely think that Mr. Hawthorn should be resurrected in Avernum 7 because he is the most original character in the Avernum series. Cmon, how many major bosses laugh at you while spilling beer on their cloak. It jus aint right. He should get 5 lvls of spears and hardiness to start off. After that, it might be wise if you train him in the art of luck. That way he can wriggle free of a grapple with a fiend or incubus.

Training will begin in the mausoleum at Mertis. From there he will fight his way past the gauntlet. He can then recruit lagran and the other skalds. I thin that from there he can make his way to the throne and fight himself, killing him and making the cowardly version of himself cease to exist. If he does all that, we might see Strong Mr. Hawthorn in the next remake. I look forward to that.

Hmm..very interesting. So it would seem the path of the warrior might not be a good path. I guess it would make sense that he casts spells. Most jesters in dungeons and drakons usually use melee only as a last resort and go all out with spells like any regular bard would. So was the dialogue the same as in the current game or was there more of an irenicus type.

I want to look up more on hawthorn and come back to this. If its true that he is a mage, I want to know if he is more like Erika (the beautiful) redmark or Edwin from Baldurs Gate. I wonder why Jeff made him a jester in the games after that, his jokes are terrible.

The reason he reminds me of a jester is that you damage his minions and then he goes into a fit of laughter. You damage them again, he does the same. Eventually he gets tired of the fact that his jokes aren't funny and lowers his protecion defenses. You can beat him then and prove that his jokes are lame. Thats probably my fav part of the game.

The reason he reminds me of a jester is that you damage his minions and then he goes into a fit of laughter. You damage them again, he does the same. Eventually he gets tired of the fact that his jokes aren't funny and lowers his protecion defenses. You can beat him then and prove that his jokes are lame. Thats probably my fav part of the game.

I think of jesters as typically being very intelligent people, who use their humor to manipulate/control the situation. Of course that may just be based on all the Shakespeare I read in high school.

King Hawthorne's laughter seems very different - more like the laugh of someone who is mad/drunk with power. Lowering his defenses goes along with this - he's convinced himself that it won't matter because he believes himself to be invinceable.

• 1 year later...

Killed Hawthorne with 1 hit after he had dropped his shield (and Garzahd I got to ~half a health (although msg-box said that party didn't make much damage at all) before he let party pass) so that fight was much easier than to getting into throneroom (I officially hate infinite respawns in tight corridoors) and much easier than it was in Avernum 1.

After passing Garzahd I got into small troubles (3 chars on other side of corridoor and 1 char got stuck between 1st and 2nd group) but nothing which few lightning strikes couldn't handle.

Didn't bother looting in Hawthorne's priv chambers since respawns were getting irritiating.

Earth Empires, no one had posted in this thread in nearly two years. Please try to avoid thread necromancy unless you have something to say that really must be connected to the original thread, and even then, consider just making a new thread instead and linking to the old topic.

Thank you.