Been caught stealing

Is there any way to tell how close you are to annoying the guards, when you get caught rifling through someones drawers (the wooden kind)?

It seems a bit random, sometimes its too much and they attack, other times I seem to be able to get away with a lot.

Also do guards remember this, if say they catch me stealing three times, and I leave the town and come back later?

Yeah. It's harder to steal in A:EFTP especially Jeff didn't place codes for closing the door. Without closed doors, you can't steal without being seen, and I feel insecure! Curses! Anyway, it would be a bad idea to steal, or just save first and try to take the items you want, then reload if they became hostile. I also think there is a cheat for letting people forgive you.

-------

-Test Subject 8552

You can steal with open doors and not get seen, you just have to be very careful, and often wait until people wander out of sight. It can take a while, and your positioning matters a lot - try to position yourself so that as small of an area as possible outside the door can see you. Many shopkeepers will eventually wander out of their store, so you can get some decent loot from a few stores if you're really patient.