Party level for experience calculation

As i understand the experience you gain from killing a foe depends on your level in relation to his level, what i wanted to ask is that if the party members are at different levels (happens a lot to me as my fighter keeps dying before most fights are over and thus does not get as much experience as the mages), which level is considered for xp calculation?

Is it the average of party or the highest/lowest level character of party?

Each character's level is considered individually for their own experience gains. So if you somehow had a level 30 character and a level 10 character in the same party, the level 10 character would gain experience very fast and the level 30 character would gain experience very slowly.

• 2 months later...

If all experience is divided up among the 4 characters equally after every battle, why is my priest always a little behind? They are all at level 6 and the priest has never been killed. When I get to level 7 the other 3 will level up but not the priest until the next battle. The priest is a pure spellcaster and never directly engages the enemy so I don't think that I could have forgotten about him getting killed once and besides I'm only at level 6. Any idea?

Different race or traits can affect experience bonuses or penalties.

There's also some noise in the distribution. At some point, at least, penalties calculate for each individual experience point gained, leading to the possibility of bad luck and lower level. If the difference is just one battle it may also be the fact that whenever you get experience not divisible by 4 the priest gets short-changed.

[Edit: No, never mind. I thought this was about A6! The real answer's going to be the noisiness in distribution.]

—Alorael, who always has some character lagging slightly. It's just a quirk of the system. As long as the lag is small you don't need to worry about it.

There isn't any race effect in A:eftp and apart from the quick learner(or whatever it was called and it's upgrade) traits have no effect either, so In all probability it's just a random effect, if you distribute your wisdom crystals equally your fighters should eventually lag the spell casters a little due to being killed bit more often.

xp isn't divided equally, for a long time my 1st fighter led until 2nd fighter took lead and 2nd place was given to either 1st fighter or either of casters, at lvl 45 my 2nd fighter has nearly 100 xp more than 1st fighter and casters are 40 (2nd)-60 (1st) xp behind 2nd fighter and at some battles 2nd caster got 0 xp while others got 1-3 xp and others battles roles were reversed, no xp bonus on any char.