D&D GOG Sale

caleb

So GoG has all the old D&D games on sale with a stacking discount, so the more games you buy the bigger the discount up to 65%. If you buy all 9 it is right about $30. The sale includes: Baldur's Gate 1&2, Icewind Dale 1&2, Planescape Torment, NWN Diamond, Temple of Elemental Evil, DemonStone, and Dragonshard. Sale is good for 3 more days.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
I wouldn't really call it spam. A lot of members here have spoken highly of many of these games, and these are in fact the kind of games people who play Spiderweb games are likely to enjoy.

Also, even Jeff Vogel has said on its own blog that his response to people asking "Why should I buy your games when I can play Baldur's Gate?" is "You haven't played Baldur's Gate? Go do that, then come back and play my games!" If there's any game it's okay to promote here...

I have never played a single one of those games before. I have looked them all up multiple times over the years and thought about buying some of them but always talk myself out of it. Today, I am am unable to talk myself out of buying the pack. I wanted to play this when they first came out, and now I am going to.

I also think there is a difference in advertising something and sharing something. Someone else might want to debate where the line is between the two but I would say that the OP was sharing and not advertising.

It's a shame, too, because the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights games were all released on MaC as well. Getting the Mac versions to run on new computers is prohibitively difficult.

—Alorael, whose first thought upon seeing "all the old D&D games" was that GoG had a Gold Box special. Apparently not.

Is it strange that I don't find the two pursuits to be terribly related? Computer RPGs can never be as open ended as D&D. They're rules and plots are all predetermined and confined. The tabletop experience is almost more similar to a good simulation or strategy game than to the stuff Spiderweb puts out- which isn't to say I don't enjoy both immensely.

For character optimization lovers, computer and tabletop roleplaying offer a lot of the same fun. If you like watching characters get better, they have the same appeal. If you enjoy playing a role in a story, a good, open CRPG will do it well. No, it won't account for everything you might want to do, but you don't have to share the spotlight with the rest of the players at a table, and the kind of planning and multimedia can make for stories with more grandeur and impact than all but the best human GMs can provide.

And have you never been in a dungeon-crawl D&D campaign where you kick down the doors, kill the monsters, get the loot? For that I'd say Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate are better than the real thing except for the loss of the social experience.

They're different, and I wouldn't want to pick one over the other, but there's plenty of overlap. Maybe it's like football and basketball. They're quite different, but there will be people who enjoy both. There's enough in common.

Of course this all changes when you move away from the D&D paradigm. You can't really have a computer run anything like Lady Blackbird or Burning Wheel.

—Alorael, who would still love to see a Lady Blackbird CRPG. It wouldn't be the same at all, but the characters, setting, and setup, minimal as they are, could make a great steampunk RPG. Or possibly FTL: Steampunk

So instead you said just enough to let us know that you basically don't care? It's your prerogative to be uninterested, but please don't clutter threads with it. They are discussions for the people who do want to talk about something.

—Alorael, who is also left confused by the ambiguity. You can easily not have heard of the indie RPGs he mentioned in his last post, but not having heard of some of the biggest names in CRPGs from the late 90's to mid 2000's means you've been living under a gaming rock. (Most people do, but most people also don't spend time on niche indie RPG forums.)

Originally Posted By: Triploons
So instead you said just enough to let us know that you basically don't care? It's your prerogative to be uninterested, but please don't clutter threads with it. They are discussions for the people who do want to talk about something.

—Alorael, who is also left confused by the ambiguity. You can easily not have heard of the indie RPGs he mentioned in his last post, but not having heard of some of the biggest names in CRPGs from the late 90's to mid 2000's means you've been living under a gaming rock. (Most people do, but most people also don't spend time on niche indie RPG forums.)

Perhaps he wished to express his disinterest in a way that added to his postcount?