A:EftP - What to do

All of my characters are around level 11 or so. I've finished the eastern gallery except the sliths, finished Formello and the aranea and generally explored everywhere except west of Fort Remote and the Abyss.

Where should I be focusing my efforts? The slith warriors and spellcasters seem to be rough at this point for me.

Go south through Mertis to the Tower of Magi to buy better spells and learn how to use the pylons to quickly travel to major towns. Go then to buy a boat in Cotra and sail west and south to the Great Cave to visit the Castle and get more quests in the Great Cave. This should help gain more levels to fight the tougher encounters.

The Mertis Spiral with its undead is doable except for near the center. The Honeycomb is hard because it's all outdoor encounters. Avoid ogres since they are slightly harder than sliths at this point.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software. Please leave your sanity at the door. It helps to resolve conflicting advice. smile

I remember there being a point for me around lvl 12 or so (on Hard) where I was strong enough to handle the sliths on the bottom floor of all the slith dungeons except their castle and strong enough to get to the center of the Mertis Spiral, but was not strong enough to beat the final groups/bosses in any of those places.

In retrospect I should have gone and done the run-around and fetch type non-combat quests in the great cave at that point. Instead I ground out another two levels killing respawns and wandering groups of sliths (not casters though, cause they could still stomp me if they got off multiple AOEs in a round).

Awkward stage to be at.

There is one area of sliths I did with my 3 person party at lvl 12. North of dranlon, by boat, there should be a slith temple and a group of sliths that patrol. If you reach any of the huts that have human prisoners, you might be able to deal with those fights especially the ones with mages that help you out.

The 1st hut you do gives reputation. The way I did the fights is before the enemy launches an attack, I have my fighter/priest (or 1st character in party) get behind the random npcs and cast protection. I then let the enemy focus most of their first attacks on the npcs your supposed to protect. My fighters chip away at the sliths while my priest uses aoes to take enemy's health down.

Those fights can sometimes be really tough but if you let your npcs absorb the 1st group of attacks, you should be able to do them at lvl 12.

I actually did something similar with the fights across from Fort Dranlon. I'd leave my 1st fighter mixed in with the npc group, back my dual wield rogue up so she wouldn't pull any aggro, and my mage and priest cast haste/protection on the group. Assuming I didn't get hit with two or more AoE spells, I could come out ahead.

After doing this with 2 of the villages, I decided to move down to the Great Cave and do the non-combat missions. The wandering Rouge Warrior/Mage groups seem to be easier than the Sliths.

That's true. It definitely helped me come to better terms with the sliths though. By the time I went to actually complete the Slith quests, I didn't have too much trouble. The chieftain with the slimes and getting too aggressive in the Slith fortification north of Fort Emerald were the only major issues.