Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

Trenton.

Tried to play the darkest and scariest game in history the other day :|It crashed. You know what it said? I need a new graphics card. Now before I run around from store to store, does anyone know if they sell these at walmart. And how much they cost?

Actually it says,

UPDATE THE DRIVERS FOR THE GRAPHICS CARD!

you should consider updating the drivers for your graphics card. However if it's an older machine this won't help much. I haven't seen a graphics card at walmart, Newegg is your best bet. I personally have a Zotac Geforce GTX 570 and am planning on getting another to SLI them.

Give up NAO.

That game is seriously terrifying. I couldn't get more than an hour into it.

When you look at monsters, you lose sanity. In order to evade them, you have to hide and put out your light. Sitting in a corner in the dark, you also lose sanity. And you NEVER get a weapon.

I picked up a broom and carried it with me the whole first section, in the hopes that if something popped up I could swing my mouse down really fast and hit it with the broom.

Then I got to that first section change and my broom was GONE.

Also stay out of water.

After you know that all Grunt

These guys: 2hgxwl3.jpg"Hai Der!" these guys

encounters are spawned and despawned, they don't seem as scary. Ofcourse, then again, I have only watched the Lets plays. I am sure I will be terrified out of my mind at the risk of actuall dying, even if I know when they all pop up.

Brutes... Yeah, I might have to take a break for a day if I see one.

Originally Posted By: Erasmus
Is this another Lovecraft game? All the talk about losing sanity sure sounds like it.

No, A:tDD is entirely unrelated to the Lovecraft mythos.

Originally Posted By: Trenton
Edit Reason: Don't trust the water... Whatever the hell you do... If you see splashing, run for your life. Damn Kaernk's.

Honestly, I found the Kaernk to be more silly than scary. "Invisible" is not a very scary trait in a monster, especially one that splashes in place so you get a good look at where it is. If it were smarter about staying out of your line of sight, being invisible would work, but it still wouldn't be as scary as something with fins and/or tentacles and/or teeth that you could never see clearly because it was always trying to stay out of your sight. Knowing that it's called a Kaernk doesn't help either.

Don't get Dikiyoba wrong. The Cellar Archive encounters with a Kaernk are intense and add to the game. They're just not particularly scary.

Re SCP: Containment Breach, the background seems a whole lot more interesting than the game itself. No doubt I'd be pretty disturbed if I met the Pillsbury Doughboy from Mars IRL, of course; but it's hard to convey that on a computer screen.

(Come to think of it, I'd say that's the issue with a lot of horror. Shocking imagery is useful, but without shocking concepts, it's dead in the water.)

I was scared out of my wits with that game. A friend of mine played it while I was sitting next to him, solving all the puzzles. I'm really bad at playing these dark kind of games, though... I get scared very easily. I was scared also in the Ravenholm part of Half Life 2, not to mention games like FEAR, and even Doom 3 I found way to intense. While Doom 3 really isn't very scray, I find it a very frantic, in-your-face kind of game.