Im getting DESTROYED!!!!

The title says it all. Geneforge 5. Class: Agent lvl 15.

I am having a tough time fighting these rothgroth as they seem to always hit me regardless of my protection spells. I have mastered in blessing magic which is at 8, mental magic which is at 9, my sword skill and quick action is good as is my strength and intelligence. I wanted this character to be nigh-unhittable with essence shield, spell craft and other defensive skills, guess not. I use essence shield when in a new area and daze when fighting numbers. I like the way this agent is turning out but will everything in later game be this nasty. I might have to put a few more points into spell craft.

I

There is no way that you will become unhittable. What you want to do is enough damage to stun the creation so it doesn't advance into melee with you. Failing that you need health and resistance to survive the attack.

You are a little low to fight that so stealth to avoid it is better and come back later to kill it. There are several places where the creations are higher level than your ability when you first encounter them. This game also favors specialization in your class over building up a second attack type.

• 2 weeks later...

You've got a bit of a Catch 22 going. I agree lvl15 is too low for Rotties but a Seasoned Lifecrafter could defend himself pretty well with an overpowering force of creations and magic spells. What creations do you have? With enough Int, you can also use creations as an Agent.

That was always one thing i never understood about gene forge 5's nonlinear approach. In gene forge 1 and 2 you had that but in reality all that it was was that you couldn't hit the enemy as well until you got more levels (if i remember correctly). With gene forge 5, you not only can't hit certain opponents until higher, but it also seemed like you did less damage if you were too low a lvl.

Geneforge 5, seems to be more like avernum escape from the pit in that aspect.

Every Spiderweb game since Nethergate in 1998 has used a system where increasing the skills your attack type is tied to, will increase both its damage and its chance to hit.

There have been a few changes over the years -- Avadon and A:EFTP use a slightly different system from G1-G5, for example -- but all the Geneforge games use the same combat mechanics.

And experience level has never had a direct impact on damage output (or chance to hit) in any Spiderweb game. (It was used as a threshold cutoff for assassination in early games, but that's not a direct impact at all.)