Numbers

Actaeon

Originally Posted By: Actaeon
I actually do the same. And figure out primes, write out rhymes, and invent alphabets...

When I was bored in lectures, I would pick a small integer and do trial division to see if 2^n-1 was a Mersenne prime. The biggest one I found was 8191, which sounds impressive until you realize that Euler did it for 2147483647, and some dude in the 50's did it for (2^148+1)/17, which is like fifty digits long.

Actually, an adder can only add two bits, yielding a sum bit and a carry bit, which it passes on to next adder.

To make an 8-bit adder, it takes 8 adders in parallel each one cascading its carry bit to the next higher adder who says "Fangs a lot for your little bit'.

I don't see these adders being able to use scales, since they have no hands.

BTW, You know what they use for multiplier circuits?

Rabbits!

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I would sketch the circuit for a 8-bit adder

what are the 8 bits anyway

i count two fangs, two eyes, a tail, some scales, but that leaves two more unaccounted for

Nostrils. Or tongue prongs. Really, snakes have plenty of bits.

—Alorael, who considered not bringing up naughty bits and decided that they really are relevant. Just know that snakes are strong believers in bilateral symmetry.

Their bilateral symmetry is what makes them such good binary operands.

Of course you all know the origin of the curse of the binary digits. One bit didn't hold that much information, but it only cost 12-1/2 cents. Two bits was better, but it cost 25 cents. So the engineers decided to skip the 4 bits and the 6 bits, and jumped straight to the $1.00 for a full 8 bits. But then they got into how best to represent the valued contained by those bits. They tries base-10, which resulted in an odd number at the end. They tried base-8, which was a bit better, but still did not end up on the expectd 777. Then someone came up with the idea of Base-16, which uses the first 6 letters of the alphabet to fill out the required number of 16 symbols.

Ever since then, the representation of the values of binary numbers have been hexed.

• 2 weeks later...