Theory on XP ...

It occured to me that waiting to report a quest finished until much later in the game might give a team an extra level or two. It would make the early game more difficult, although XP gain from monsters might increase a bit. Perhaps waiting until level 37 or so might get a team to level 40. Of course, some quests are on a chain and have to be reported.

I'm assuming the XP gain from finishing a quest remains the same. If the amount of XP earned is on a curve like XP from monsters, then it wouldn't work.

Is quest XP static?

Past level 35 or so, the only reliable way to continue getting experience is to farm herb patches in order to make wisdom crystals. It's not worth it, considering how skill and stat gains drop off dramatically after level 30, but if you're patient enough you can get as much experience as you want this way.

I'm not sure if you really need to reach level 40, unless you just want to do it for its own sake. I just did a torment game and I was hording wisdom crystals all game, thinking I might need them to level late game, but then I used one and realized they kind of suck as it takes like 6 to level one character and there's not a whole lot of reason to level past 30, even on torment. I reached level 30 just before starting the last three endgame quests and I didn't feel underpowered at all. So I ended up just selling all of my wisdom crystals in order to buy training and energy potions. The biggest problem for me endgame was that I was nearly out of energy elixirs. I did the gauntlet last and it was a bit of a pain as I kept holding my mages back just because I wasn't sure how much game was left and I didn't want to run out of mana. It kind of made me regret not investing in First Aid (which, in retrospect, I think is probably totally worth it).

Reaching level 40 is definately not needed to win the game. It's just a nice even number. Looking forward to my singleton run - cap seems to be about level 55 and change.

By the way, how long does one need to keep the space bar depressed to regenerate herbs? Put a book on the space bar and walk away for a few minutes? Hmmm.