N:R blessing pools

What's the deal with them blessing pools? I've read here in these 3 year old threads about all the neat stuff they used to do in the old version...

Now when I use the pool it says that all the equipped weapons will be blessed so they hit more often and do more damage, but then there's no visual proof that anything actually happens - all my weapons stay the same. confused

Read the equipped melee weapon's description by unequipping it and you will see that it now has a line about hitting better and for more damage. I doubt that it's much more than the druid's bless spell made permanent. Still what can you do if you only use the free and reward usages.

Thanks guys.

Somehow I missed that one added sentence in item's description... probably because I expected something a bit more impressive, or at least better documentation of those added bonuses - such as added new magic abilities to a weapon, "+X level to melee damage" and "+X% to hit", or something like that. Oh well...

It would be helpful to state how you came to that conclusion. Bonuses to levels of damage are hard to accurately evaluate given the range of damage presented. Also +3 levels of damage but only +10% to hit is an unusual combination; most of Jeff's games uniformly bundle +1 with +5% if both bonuses are given.

I'm aware that in SW games 1 level of tohit adds 5% and that on magical items in official campaigns tohit levels are handed out equally with the dmg levels, but in this case it is the way it is.

Btw, tohit is the easiest to check as it actually appears in the log area. Give non-blessed and blessed versions of the weapon to someone who doesn't have melee skills and dex = not very high chance to hit so that it doesn't max out at 95% in both cases, and take a whack at something decent.

Dmg levels are definitely harder to evaluate by ordinary means, although low skill values (slowly raising them up as necessary) and a weapon with the smallest dmg range (dagger/stick 1-3, or damaged dagger 1-2) still would be the best to start such analysis with. Since it's better to log min and max dmg values in some number of tries (in which you are convinced that no smaller/bigger values would appear) and then try to come up with formulas out of such data, than to pay any attention to average dmg (which is too imprecise kind of data without knowing the exact formulas to begin with).

The solution then is to modify corescendata2.txt file, setting some weapon's it_damage_per_level to 1, which means it will do constant damage each hit, which means the total damage will be affected only by other stats of interest, so the number of tries necessary to come up with some conclusion would be defined purely by the complexity of game system and brainpower, unlike the methods of preset number of tries calculating the averages.

But the above method isn't the main source of my conclusions, so in any case, you'd have to either trust me on it or not. Whether I'm pulling it out of my ass or out of disassembly, or hitting the same wolf 500 times and writing down the numbers, it still boils down to trust. wink

Quote:
Originally written by heal plz:
The solution then is to modify corescendata2.txt file, setting some weapon's it_damage_per_level to 1, which means it will do constant damage each hit, which means the total damage will be affected only by other stats of interest, so the number of tries necessary to come up with some conclusion would be defined purely by the complexity of game system and brainpower, unlike the methods of preset number of tries calculating the averages.
A clever idea. However, if Strength and Sword skills interact with the damage per level number differently, as I originally suggested, this method might not reveal it, for obvious reasons.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought the same thing but didn't try to unequip it. Perhaps if the graphic or some more obvious description had changed it would have made it easier to tell. Still seems useful, though, if the bonuses stack with the equivalent buff cast spell from your Druids in battle, since I almost always cast that after Shielding.