Thanks for the Linux port of Avadon !

MaximB

Hello !

For a long time I've wanted to play your games under a native Linux client, and although the porting should have been easy to make (considering you already have a MacOS client) they never came frown

But now finally Avadon came out for the HiB and I'm glad it did.

Started playing and can't let it go (love old school games, but could only play The Eschelon series as it has a native Linux clients).

I hope that you let Ryan to port your other games to Linux and your upcoming titles.

Thanks

Maxim.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
I really don't see how you'd think that porting from MacOS to Linux would be easy?
OS X and Linux are both Unix-based operating systems. On the surface, this makes porting from one to the other seem rather straight forward. However, OS X uses APIs that Linux does not and vice versa. I many cases, it's no easier to port from OS X to Linux than it is to port from Windows. In fact, in the case of Spiderwebs games, which run quite well using Wine, it's actually simpler to port the Windows versions.

Note, building it with WINE doesn't count as a port from Windows to Linux... just like building it for X11 doesn't count as a port from Linux to Mac.
Not technically, but many professional Linux ports of Windows games, and Mac ports for that matter, use Wine or one of its derivatives. If the program functions fine through Wine, why bother going to the bother of actually porting the code?

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
Note, building it with WINE doesn't count as a port from Windows to Linux... just like building it for X11 doesn't count as a port from Linux to Mac.
Not technically, but many professional Linux ports of Windows games, and Mac ports for that matter, use Wine or one of its derivatives. If the program functions fine through Wine, why bother going to the bother of actually porting the code?

Because Wine uses Microsoft stuff, and if Microsoft want they can "shutdown" Wine at will.
If this will come to that, all programs that were "ported" via Wine, will become illegal.

I am the editor of the LinuxGamingNews.org website and I and my fellow friends can't publish a game which doesn't have a native Linux client and just "runs" with Wine.

That is why I so happy that one of Spiderweb games finally got a native Linux client.

Originally Posted By: MaximB

Because Wine uses Microsoft stuff, and if Microsoft want they can "shutdown" Wine at will.
If this will come to that, all programs that were "ported" via Wine, will become illegal.

I am the editor of the LinuxGamingNews.org website and I and my fellow friends can't publish a game which doesn't have a native Linux client and just "runs" with Wine.
That may be true, but it does not change the fact that many professional "Mac ports" of Windows games are really just the Windows game in a Cider wrapper. Perhaps you cannot publish a Wine port, but many companies do.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus

That may be true, but it does not change the fact that many professional "Mac ports" of Windows games are really just the Windows game in a Cider wrapper. Perhaps you cannot publish a Wine port, but many companies do.

Well, most (about 98%) of Linux ports that were ported by Ryan Gordon (the one who ported Avadon) were "clean" ports without Wine stuff. (BTW he also made lots of MacOS ports).

Also LGP doesn't use Wine in porting it's games to Linux.

I'm not saying that there are no developers who use Cider/Wine in porting their games, but the majority of the Linux ports are "clean".

Except that's a bad analogy since pretty much all Linux setups I've heard of use X.org as well.

Honestly, if you are writing a game and plan on having it ported at some point, it'd be nice just to write good clean code and use decent cross-platform libraries. Then all you should have to do is change the build target.

Uhhh... that's not true. WINE doesn't use Microsoft stuff at all. Or at least, it doesn't depend on Microsoft stuff; it can use Microsoft dlls which in some cases may work better than WINE's emulation (or whatever it's called).

Originally Posted By: Sylae
Except that's a bad analogy since pretty much all Linux setups I've heard of use X.org as well.
But if I'm not mistaken, the X windows system is native on Linux. It's not native on Macs.

It's not installed by default on Macs. It's still native.

—Alorael, who believes Jeff has been loud and clear about his lack of clean code. If having to laboriously port his games for almost twenty years hasn't convinced him to do it differently, he's got enough inertia to keep doing it the way he does forever.

Originally Posted By: Paucity of Inadequacy
It's still native.
No it's not. It doesn't mesh with the Mac style; for example, keyboard shortcuts use Ctrl instead of Cmd, windows behave differently, and all X11 applications are grouped under a single application in the Dock.

"Native" on Mac usually refers to being coded for the Intel architecture on modern Macs. In that sense, X11 is native. I agree that it doesn't conform to Apple's human interface guidelines, but that's a window dressing problem, not a fundamental code problem.

—Alorael, who doesn't mean to undervalue playing nicely with how things are supposed to work on the system. He's not a fan of having to run X11 on his Mac. But it works just fine, no matter how jarring it is.

• 1 year later...

Jeff doesn't port to Linux. He may not know how to; he certainly shows no evidence of wanting to. If he has games included in another Humble Bundle they'll probably be ported, but otherwise they won't be.

—Alorael, who thinks the Linux-exclusive community is too small to be worth courting. Before going for Steam it was a niche of a niche; now it's not nearly as exciting as reaching out to the great wide internet.