Texting while driving.

Harehunter

Originally Posted By: Twice the cost, 2x the work!
Dying is cheap, but gruesome injuries are expensive. I'd rather not have people thrown clear from a cost perspective.

—Alorael, who is fairly okay with regulating something if society might be picking up the costs. And with America's widespread lack of health insurance, it often is.

This.

Even with health insurance (or auto insurance paying for injuries) the people sharing your insurance are paying for your closed-head injuries. We don't want to.

But having defined laws makes it easier to prove abuse of power. Police perjury at trials is so common that until they are caught in a blatant lie they do it as a matter of course. So using police discretion means their word about what happens goes unless you have it on film that they are wrong.

I had to mention the latest multitasking while driving mentioned in today's Arizona Republic. A woman was observed smoking, talking on the phone, and breast feeding an infant while waiting for the traffic light to change.

None of that is technically illegal in Arizona since there isn't any restrictions on driving while using cell phones here.

I am in favor of having police recorded. I'm willing to give up a little bit of privacy, and a fair amount of on-the-job privacy for cops, to reduce the reliance on honesty in law enforcement.

—Alorael, who firmly believes law enforcement will be honest, forthright, and highly professional as long as all of those are themselves enforced by law.

I didn't mean to crucify the police. There are some places where police forces are largely corrupt, but that's not most places. Mostly, I think cameras will exonerate officers accused of brutality; if some might be tempted to brutality and held in check by the extra watching eyes, that's good to.

—Alorael, who mostly would rather not assume that the police are benevolent. Good, bad, or indifferent by nature, under observation they'll be more prone to being on their best behavior. And if tapes go missing that's a red flag for institutionalized corruption and coverup.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I had to mention the latest multitasking while driving mentioned in today's Arizona Republic. A woman was observed smoking, talking on the phone, and breast feeding an infant while waiting for the traffic light to change.

None of that is technically illegal in Arizona since there isn't any restrictions on driving while using cell phones here.

My sister-in-law used to nap at red lights. Apparently, she could maintain the pressure on the brake pedal. Her young children would wake her when the light changed. What shocks me most about this is that I can only nap if two prerequisites are met: 1. near exhaustion, and 2. lying down.