A-EftP - I can't win

Ive tried to figure out by going on the strategy central page how to make a good party but it seems i just can't win in this game. Dexterity is almost next to useless for a fighter as it doesn't block anything. Parry is useless as it doesn't block magic attacks like old games. Endurance might be the only good thing for a fighter but S Central says that you need intelligence for a fighter as well. How am i supposed to balance this with a 2 person party?

It seems that the days where you specialize in 2 attributes are over. Im hoping that jeff doesn't nerf the attributes in avadon 2.

You don't normally need intelligence on a fighter. The problem for you is that you've chosen to play with a 2-character party, which means that both of your characters will probably be wearing multiple hats whether you like it or not.

In your position, if you insist on going ahead with a 2-character party, I'd consider making your first character a priest-tank who invests mostly in Endurance with maybe just enough Strength to use some heavier armour early on and relies on healing, buffs and summoning (none of which depend on Intelligence), while your second character is a mage who invests mostly in Intelligence and hangs back, Dazes groups of enemies and picks them off one at a time with magic.

Keep in mind that most of the advice given in Strategy Central is for Torment difficulty. If you're playing on a lower difficulty, the game will be less stringent about what builds are viable.

Also it's possible to make a character that is resistant to some types of damage.

Endurance will help you avoid getting hit by cold attacks, and resist poison and acid plus give you the health to survive when you do take damage.

Dexterity avoids physical, fire, and energy attacks, but unless you are an archer it doesn't help with you dealing out damage.

Intelligence avoids mental attacks and for dealing out spell damage.

With version 1.0.0, the early game was too hard without magic. The just-out version 1.0.1 has been nerfed somewhat (see the applicable thread.) Going no-magic with a duo sounds like a pretty hefty challenge for this particular game.

If magic makes the game too easy, why not raise the difficulty level from normal, instead of banging your head with a frustrating party? That's a somewhat rhetorical question, as I know some of the possible responses. My thought is that this game is not too friendly towards caster-free parties.

I have to say i suffer from the same thing. The original A4-6 were alot of fun with no priests or mages as i never really liked that whole idea. I can imagine how hard a true melee party is as i was playing a ranged user party in Escape and its too hard. First aid just isnt as useful as it used to be.

It was too hard, I couldnt really bring myself to playing to completion as that was what made the old games so much fun. Hopefully, jeff will do something about first aid in the future. Its alot more fun than increasing the difficulty.