A tangent from (Not a revival of!) the previous thread, in regard to a well-respected forum member

The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Rambam (– Hebrew acronym for "Rabbi Moshe ben Maimon") his given name, Moshe (Moses) and son of his father Maimon

Judaism has different branches and beliefs just like Christianity. Because Israel grants citizenship to Jews, there is a legal definition based on descent from a Jewish parent and beliefs for those that have converted. However outside of Israel the definition is much broader.

This has led to interesting cases such as Mexican that are descendants of Marranos being able to reclaim their Jewish heritage and moved to Israel to find jobs. Also several African tribes are possibly of Jewish descent based on genetic traits more common among Jews than Africans and customs found in the Old Testament.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Judaism has different branches and beliefs just like Christianity.

Samaritans are one of these obscure denominations of Judaism, contrary to what is taught in the Christian tradition.

Also, I heard a radio interview where a Jewish doctor working in outback Australia was approached by a group of aboriginal elders asking that he perform ritual circumcision on the men of their community as they had decided to convert to Judaism.

I'm sort of shocked, guys.

Look, WE know that this is a pretty tolerant place and that most everyone means well. The world at large does not know that, and what kind of impression is a random lurker -- or worse, a random SW customer -- going to get if they pop on to the forums and look at this thread?

Treating any group of people, or any belief system, like it is some kind of sideshow to be marveled at and gossiped and joked about, is pretty disrespectful.

Please don't do it anymore. Just, please. I'm not sure what else to say. Well, beyond the fact that this thread is very, very done.