Avernum fan suggestions

Nikanuur

Hi, I did (not so thorough, I admit) a search for fan suggestions and found none. So here are some of mine:

- more usable enviroment. I mean, if I can pick up the pick-axe, please give me a chance to break something with it. Cave-ins to be precise. Mb 3 squares with one pick or something like that (I understand a pick-axe is fairly common so let's not destroy the meaning of hard reachable place all of a sudden smile

- some item merging - saw+some wood = a] wooden sword b] a post one can write his own messages on and see it on the minimap later c] a plank one can sell for few coins and for a bit more if selling to a carpenter...

- I really like how some first-to-get characteristics means you get some better skill and even that better skill can lead to some super skill later. That's really cool, thanks for that.

- I absolutely adore you for hidden buttons, small caches of little treasure and this stuff, Spidersoftware, u are the best laugh

- mb like sockets in some items or a chance to improve the items yourself

...well

Thats all for now I only hope, other people will add up more and you, dear Spidersoftware-old-school-maniacs-in-charge will hear some of it up or even create your own.

Thanks again for such a cool game laugh

Originally Posted By: Nikanuur
- more usable enviroment. I mean, if I can pick up the pick-axe, please give me a chance to break something with it. Cave-ins to be precise. Mb 3 squares with one pick or something like that (I understand a pick-axe is fairly common so let's not destroy the meaning of hard reachable place all of a sudden smile

I'm afraid that if every last item included to provide detail and richness to a setting possessed some essential utility as well, we'd all soon run out of space in our packs/junk bags. I'm not bothered by the presence of items of negligible value, so long as I can be sure that I won't need any of 'em.

As an ADOM/Nethack veteran, I actually like this idea. Making a pickaxe usable wouldn't be that much of a change in the set of junk items. Some stones should be impervious (like agate, basalt, etc.) and others crumble more easily (like sandstone and adobe). Might be an interesting idea for a BoA scenario.

(Hey, and then we could make an axe chop down trees, and add some way - like perhaps some special table or something - to combine the wood from the tree with an iron bar to make another pickaxe... :p)

Subtlety is indeed my middle name, and also my first and last name. tongue

Also, I've read Jeff's post and it seems to rate Minecraft quite positively. Of course, he does say it's a completely different thing than most other games for adults, and mixing genres like that might not be a good idea.

Or even if it is a good idea, it might not be one that gains wide popularity. Blades of Avernum was an awesome idea, and never sold as well as it should have.

Personally, I'd love an RPG with a world I could really interact with and shape. There would have to be a fine-tuned combination of linearity (dialogue, plot) and openness, but it wouldn't be a sandbox game like Minecraft exactly, nor an ordinary modern RPG. It'd be something different entirely - perhaps even different from the aforementioned ADOM. Openness requires vast tons of more effort for a game the same size, of course, and considering it might not gain popularity, it'd be a really risky endeavor.

(However, it worked for Notch. He made something nobody had done before - as a computer game - and it became an instant hit. The millions who bought Minecraft are largely adults and bought it for themselves. Among ten randomly sampled CS students in my college, roughly five would be actively playing it or have done so.)

Edit: The ultimate advancement might be a game that you're not only playing, but also changing and developing while you play it. You're not just knocking down and building a few walls in a pre-established realm, but changing and creating areas, introducing new characters and dialogue, creating plot that meshes with the game world already there. Wikiblades.

Originally Posted By: Polaran
The ultimate advancement might be a game that you're not only playing, but also changing and developing while you play it. You're not just knocking down and building a few walls in a pre-established realm, but changing and creating areas, introducing new characters and dialogue, creating plot that meshes with the game world already there. Wikiblades.

The other side of the coin could have you building as well as destroying, setting up (or at least influencing the development of) towns and dungeons as bases of operations. You could potentially become a merchant, or if your sights are set higher, the lord or evil overlord of an area. Complete with serfs and minions to support you while you're off doing whatever you feel like, of course.

(I've been playing around with the idea of an MMO built on essentially that premise... shame I only know enough about creating such a thing to know that I'd never stay interested long enough to finish it)

Originally Posted By: Doctor Albert Halfmann
Originally Posted By: Nikanuur

I'm afraid that if every last item included to provide detail and richness to a setting possessed some essential utility as well, we'd all soon run out of space in our packs/junk bags. I'm not bothered by the presence of items of negligible value, so long as I can be sure that I won't need any of 'em.

You are actually right. To have all items usable would be a terror game to play as well as pretty hard to create. What I meant was items lying around without any real meaning is cool as long as there is actually a possibility one may use one of them a time to time.

Do you follow me? As for the pick-axe - this item is fairly common, one does not have to carry it around. But when one strucks some cave-in in an abandoned dungeon one wishes he'd go outside to have his own little miniquest to snatch three pickaxes get back and hack his way through to explore...

Something like that...

- Or applying a limb on a sword makes it poisonous for 3 hits... something like this. I think your game, cool as it is already, really calls for these little improvements every now and then to be really rich and one of the best that is out there in it's cathegory.

Some more suggestions:

- torches out of stick and fireplace

- creatures in dungeons vulnerable to light (-1 on attack and defense or so) or some even fearing open fire (torches)

- use a talking or glomerule or fight or water bucket on a Nephilim guard to make him run away from his chest

- gaining more XPs from smart talking then from fights and achieving things via chatting. You wise and powerfull creators of Avernum have already implemented that laugh ...how about implementing diplomacy?

- using a shovel on a grave... which would yield the same results as stealing (ok even I fell now it's kinda getting out of hand to carry 15 shovels only to be able to act when you find a grave, but you must find it funny at least bit, no laugh ?)

- stealing from people based on Dexterity

- special kind of rocks that when used sharpen the melee weapons