Which games to play?

MechTheDane

Hi.

Long ago when I was 12-14 I played Exile 2 and Exile 3. I really enjoyed both of those games, especially Exile 3. (though I never beat it =/ )

Fast-forward to...now! I'm 25 and time really isn't on my side anymore. I found Avadon when I was looking for apps on my iPad, recognizing Spiderweb Software I immediately downloaded it and have been enjoying it since.

But I'd like something more. I just don't where to start.

Should I pick up where I left off in Exile 3, by playing Avernum 3?

Or is Geneforge so much better that I should try that instead? If i don't have time to play every single game.. should I skip some of them or start somewhere different?

Avadon is fun, especially for my iPad - but I'd really like something i could sink my teeth into from the get-go..

Major possible points of entry:

Avernum 1 is the first of the original Avernum Trilogy. It's a remake of Exile 1, which (obviously) comes before the games you played years ago. It's being remade right now, so you could play it now or wait for the remake to come out. (The current version looks different from either Exile or Avadon; it was an intermediate look-and-feel that Spidweb kept only for a few years. I like it, but some don't.)

Avernum 4 is the direct sequel to the plotline of Exile 3. I think it's the weakest of the series, personally, but a lot of people like it. It looks sort of like Avadon, graphically. If you want to skip it, I think you could go straight into Avernum 5 (which I think is better) without much loss of continuity.

Geneforge 1 is the beginning of the GF series, which is not better or worse than Avernum, but it's different. Some like it more, some less. Graphically, it looks like Avadon, and the plots feel more like Avadon's than like Avernum's. GF1 is pretty old, and the engine developed quite a ways since the beginning; if you'd like to pick up from a point of greater refinement, you could start at GF4, which is one of the stronger recent efforts. You don't have to play the earlier games to understand GF4 (well, mostly).

You could also go in for Nethergate: Resurrection, Blades of Exile, or Blades of Avernum.

• N:R is a stand-alone game with the look-and-feel of Avernum but an independent plot; it's great, one of the finest that Spidweb has ever done.

• Blades of Exile is in the classic look-and-feel of the Exile Trilogy, but with literally hundreds of quite long and quite good user-made scenarios; it's now free and open-source.
  • Blades of Avernum is also primarily geared towards user-made scenarios, and there are dozens, though not as many and not as long as the BoE ones.

Try some demos to see what you think. The demos are representative of their respective games.

Geneforge is quite a bit different than Avernum / Exile in both gameplay and atmosphere.

If you want to try Geneforge, probably go with the first one. I think on the boards it's pretty widely regarded as the best, followed in greatness by either 2 or 4.

Jeff is currently remaking the first Avernum game, so he'll probably do A2 and A3 eventually too. That knowledge might affect whether you want to get A3 right now. Of the later three Avernum games, I like A6 much much better than A4 or A5.

I also love Nethergate: Resurrection and strongly urge you to try it. smile

The plots, worlds, layouts, and so on of the Exiles and Avernums are virtually identical. Avernum 1 has one extra town and dungeon that Exile 1 lacks. One major dungeon got completely revamped between Exile 3 and Avernum 3. Otherwise, they're identical in story, but very different in engine. You could always try out both demos and see which you prefer.

—Alorael, who doesn't think a lot of people skip A4. Most people just don't like it as much as the rest of the series. It's not bad, but it's not the best. On the other hand, you can pretty much play the games in any order. There's no requirement to play the earlier ones to understand the later ones, although it does help a bit. A4 is probably the least necessary, continuity-wise.

I actually would recommend not skipping Avernum 4. While the plot isn't going to win any contests for originality, at least it's not fundamentally depressing like Avernum 6. You get to catch up with some old friends from the first trilogy, and save the world all over again. Destroying the shades (eventually) was very satisfying. Despite the lack of boats, you do actually get to see most of the Avernum map. And, now that Harehunter posted the annotated maps, when you get hopelessly lost in the honeycomb, you can even find your way out!

In gameplay terms, A4 offers tactical challenges unique within the two Avernum trilogies (it was largely copied from G1-3, however subsequently many elements were changed in A5 especially the AP system). The trials were a good example, making you to try varied combat style instead of relying on the same attack. Arrows were actually good in this game. Even the 227 riposting chitraches didn't -- much -- diminish my enjoyment of this game. The main downside is the linearity, which serves mainly to avoid you getting killed by attempting difficult quests before you're ready.