The most incredible nature video...

Doctor Albert Halfmann

Originally Posted By: Stugri-La
Totally! Even I, a self-proclaimed weasel expert, was blown away by the athleticism on display. Weasel flexibility and hops are off the charts. I find the music to be a fine fit as well, and you certainly can't go wrong with David Attenborough's narration.

I thought your specialty was needle/ferrets.

And yeah, <3 Attenborough.

Yep, the production values and camera techniques are a huge part of what makes this so special. The BBC has really embraced all the resources available today in creating their nature programmes. I doubt that anyone does it better. I remember watching some episodes of Planet Earth that were tremendous, but Life (from which this scene has been culled) seems even better.

Originally Posted By: Aranbot
Totally! Even I, a self-proclaimed weasel expert, was blown away by the athleticism on display. Weasel flexibility and hops are off the charts. I find the music to be a fine fit as well, and you certainly can't go wrong with David Attenborough's narration.

I thought your specialty was needle/ferrets.

And yeah, <3 Attenborough.

Yes, quite right, my major subspecialty is certainly my own creation, the needle/ferret. But while I adore playing God over my brood of adorable killing machines, I cannot help but admire their wilder (as in, less willing to take direction; certainly not in terms of ferocity) brethren. All manner of weasels have captivated me from the beginning.

I remember watching some episodes of Planet Earth that were tremendous, but Life (from which this scene has been culled) seems even better.

I don't like Life as much as I do Planet Earth. Life is still good and has some amazing sequences, but it focused too much on mammals while Planet Earth is more holistic.

Dikiyoba recently learned that bullfrogs are capable of catching and killing weasels, and it blew Dikiyoba's mind. (Needle/ferrets are probably beyond the bullfrog's capabiliities, though.)

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
I remember watching some episodes of Planet Earth that were tremendous, but Life (from which this scene has been culled) seems even better.

I don't like Life as much as I do Planet Earth. Life is still good and has some amazing sequences, but it focused too much on mammals while Planet Earth is more holistic.

Dikiyoba recently learned that bullfrogs are capable of catching and killing weasels, and it blew Dikiyoba's mind. (Needle/ferrets are probably beyond the bullfrog's capabiliities, though.)

As I have far more interest in mammals that in the rest of the animal kingdom, that heavy mammalian slant is entirely fine by me. When looking at the episode list for Life, I was definitely struck by how the other major classes of animals are given only an episode apiece.

By the way, hello, Dikiyoba! Another member I remember. In my recent spidweb research, I uncovered a script you had written based on the goings-on at these forums, which included many of the personalities around here. I was flattered to among them.

As for this hogwash about bullfrogs hunting weasels, though, I must profess my skepticism regarding its veracity. I will require proof before I will accept anything that seems so absurd.

By the way, hello, Dikiyoba! Another member I remember.

Hey. I'm surprised you remember me, since I probably wouldn't have remembered you if not through Spiderweb mythos. I thought you were pretty much gone by the time I showed up.

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
Btw, where did you find that out?

I read it somewhere while doing a research paper on managing bullfrogs where they are invasive. I believed it because I do have proof that they can eat multiple ducklings in a sitting (which means they can eat weasel-sized things) and because they can eat bats (which means they can go after leaping and flying things). They also make a habit out of eating each other, which makes them more vicious than weasels in a way.

With a list like that, it should come as no surprise that they can also eat rats. Dikiyoba cautions you to be careful the next time you are in bullfrog territory.

By the way, hello, Dikiyoba! Another member I remember.

Hey. I'm surprised you remember me, since I probably wouldn't have remembered you if not through Spiderweb mythos. I thought you were pretty much gone by the time I showed up.

True, I had certainly tailed off quite a bit. But I still lurked, read most discussions in General, and made the occasional comment well into 2006. I did make myself quite scarce, though, so I wouldn't expect to be remembered from that time period.

I read it somewhere while doing a research paper on managing bullfrogs where they are invasive. I believed it because I do have proof that they can eat multiple ducklings in a sitting (which means they can eat weasel-sized things) and because they can eat bats (which means they can go after leaping and flying things). They also make a habit out of eating each other, which makes them more vicious than weasels in a way.

With a list like that, it should come as no surprise that they can also eat rats. Dikiyoba cautions you to be careful the next time you are in bullfrog territory.

That is quite impressive. I never would have credited bullfrogs with such admirable aggression and hunting ability. But, similar size aside, a weasel is quite a different proposition entirely from a duckling. Weasels are fine hunters as well, considered the most powerful for their size of all carnivores.

I highly doubt that a bullfrog would successfully be able to overcome the ferocious defense it would encounter upon attacking a weasel, as the weasel would never turn tail and flee from a frog as the duckling probably would.

At times I do speak quite plainly, but when the spirit takes me I prefer to use flowery prose. It is a pompous affectation, to be sure, but largely motivated by my deep admiration for the English language.

Sadly, I have never had the opportunity to own ferrets. My parents were firmly against the acquisition of pets, and I've never had a permanent living situation on my own.