Geneforge 1 - strange progression

ToddMcF2002

I put another good 6 hours in last night and I wanted to discuss my progression. This is a bit spoilerish so if you haven't played it don't read on...

Click to reveal..
I completed the entire wastes first before crossing the river and heading east towards the Geneforge. I killed the shaper and took the Geneforge gloves. My issue is... the last bit of experience I've gotten in this game was taking the supposedly unbreachable bridge to head east. Since then I've done perhaps 15 maps without experience and I've reached the Geneforge front gates. I left that alone and I'm currently flanking though the mines coming in from the east. No XP. I've been stuck at level 20 for the last 10 hours of gameplay.

Did this happen to anyone else? The story is keeping me playing but the gameplay at this point has become a bit monotonous. Especially the mines...

There should be a message that you get no experience for each kill, because your level is significantly above the monster's level. Going into a harder place than your level earns you experience much quicker at the expense of nothing in the easier areas.

The mines and defeating pylons is boring. What's worse is the northwest areas with spawners that can't be shut down so you stay in combat mode almost all the time except to save.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: ToddMcF2002
Did this happen to anyone else? The story is keeping me playing but the gameplay at this point has become a bit monotonous. Especially the mines...

I'm so sad! I agree.

I got to lvl 20 as well then I found a glitch that allowed me to level further (I could probably reach about level 30 with said glitch, but it'd be kind of tedious and there really isn't a reason to, since nearly all enemies fall like flies to me).

It's pretty saddening though, this started out amazingly well and now that I know everything and my character can just make monsters that tear everything to shreds (I did have to put in some effort at the front gates to the Main Lab (or w/e) though :D, but it mostly consisted of me attacking guys away from the turrets then they throw themselves into my crowd of beasts. I did appreciate the Augmented Shaolai though, their attacks HURT.

One thing I really really wanted to do, which proved to be impossible, was have minions with less than 2 intelligence so I don't need to tell them what to do when all I want them to do is blast anything that comes in range. The reason it didn't really work out is because if anything is SLIGHTLY out of range when combat initiates all mindless creations come running back to me, so I can't have them wait at strategic positions to jump into action at the appropriate time.

I figure it would have made sense for creations with 1 intelligence, I suppose, being above mindless but below total control; that way I don't have to micro-manage but I can give simple commands.

But yeah, it really has gotten kind of monotonous, I just plow through everything that comes my way... I remember the most fun part was in the first school where you fought that named Thahd. All my minions were mindless and I had to be really careful because if moved too deep my creations would get overwhelmed and I could potentially die, IT WAS FUN BECAUSE IT WAS RISKY!!!!

I REALLY liked the idea of creating minions and just having them scout or having them guard the entrance to a room as I searched through the inside, but without my direct control, because otherwise it's just me doing everything the whole time...

I guess my complaint is that I got powerful a bit too fast, the magic creations (IMO) seemed the best by quite a margin as fire cost more and battle didn't have any range or special abilities.

The environment also got kind of samey farther on, I didn't really have to give any thought to what I was doing after I got strong enough so I just plowed through most stuff.

I did find the power plant and frozen place interesting because you had to play it safe and it would be difficult to manage a full party so you really had to focus on efficiency... though even then I had to turn on combat mode the whole time because it was simply too frequently dangerous otherwise.

On hindsight, maybe I just need to play on a higher difficulty, I think what I've said still counts to some extent though.