Early game build? (Arghh Poison!)

RandomOG

I'm LVL9 and the 'Widows' are handing me my head every time, on Hard. Party SO (Main - hey I like mages and hadn't read the Slartanalysis),SW and SH. Mainlining on Dex, Int and Str as appropriate. Chose the middle tree Spec. Have been mainly going up the L and M trees rather than building the lower level skills very much.

Can't seem to do anything about poison. Various healing abilities 'also cure one effect' above 3 - does that include poison? Ah me, Cure was low level and spammable in Avernum.

What would be a reasonable build for this kind of level?

Randomiser

Widows and all those poisoning rats below Dhorl Stead need endurance to avoid getting hit and resist damage. This is the point where you start increasing endurance and avoiding them.

Come back later is what I usually do in a few levels after doing most of the remaining areas. It is much easier even on normal difficulty.

I think "cure one effect" does include poison.

I used the same group for much of the game - on Normal, mind you - and it's OK, but there are some areas where Jenell is almost completely useless.

The widow's guardians are extremely tough when you first encounter them. Manageable on Normal, but on Torment I had to come back later.

Also, try to discern when to pick them off one by one, drawing them away from the group and burst firing, and when you should clump them all up and take them head on. How and when to do this depends on your healing abilities (yes, poison is cured that way) and your attack skills. Never ever neglect the lower left base attack skill, for any character.

Anyhow, don't worry. Widows are supposed to be tough wink

Warped widows should be killed first turn if you can manage that, there's only one per group of spiders but they really hurt. According to your level evaluation I suggest to leave the Shavon quest and the 3/4 warped widows in the same area (those protecting the trapdoor) for later in the game; you can possibly defeat those foes also now but it might cost a lot of resources, as potions, spells and so on.