A question about the animations.

Pakuska

But first, I would like to say I enjoy the game. I bought it on steam, my first playthrough will be on torment, and using only ONE character. I like a challenge in these turn based kind of games. =P I really like the old school RPG style, and how the story gets told in these pop ups. Sadly, I think it will only call onto a niche market. Which makes me kind of sad. frown

However.. I have one question, were the dev on a time limit? Or was it a choice you made to make as little animation as possible in favor for a big game world?

The reason why I ask is because, I become slightly annoyed at the fact that there are so little animations, and most of the things you have to use your imagination for. I see people sleeping while they are standing with just "zzz" as their lines. I see people in the I believe they are called "Stocks" just standing their, while their punishment is to be in the stocks.

Im not that far into the game, I just reached Goldcrag... maybe some people will agree with me. And please dont take it the wrong way, I really like the game. Its money well spend. smile

It's a budget thing, mostly. The "devs" consist of one dude, his wife, and his secretary, and most Spiderweb Software games make about enough money to keep the three of them fed and clothed. Good graphic artists who will reliably produce a lot of work for peanuts are hard to find, so a lot of the art gets done in-house with limited tools and resources.

Good luck on the solo playthrough.

Keep in mind that Spiderweb Software is only an indie company and only has three full time employees, and I believe only one of those programs. None are graphics artists. Graphics must be purchased from artists, which can be difficult to afford for a small indie company. Though Geneforge and Avadon have them, the entire Avernum series does not have any walking animations at all, though the upcoming remake might. Graphics are limited, and many are reused from other spiderweb software games, but the graphics have been getting better over the years.

I find it odd you consider Avadon a big game world; it felt very small and disappointing relative to other spiderweb software games. Try Avernum 3, the demo feels as big as full Avadon.

Edit: Sniped, thanks to multi-tasking and slow typing.

I see I see. shocked That makes a lot of sense. smile This is my first game from this company, so I cant compare it to another game of theirs. tongue

It just takes me out of the immersion of the game. I get easily drawn into games by the story, and the writing of this game is very good, it doesnt feel boring to read. So its kind of a bummer if you dont see the character acting as they just announced. Thats all. smile Thanks for answering and giving your opinions. ^^

Originally Posted By: Pakuska
This is first game from this company, so I cant compare it to another game of theirs. tongue

Actually, it's not, not by a long shot. Spiderweb Software released its first game in 1994, and Avadon is its 19th offering. And that's part of the problem: this is the full-time job for both parents of a family with children. Jeff isn't willing to risk his profit margins to splurge on graphics if he can sell games without them. Any business decision that doesn't pan out is a potential family financial crisis.

—Alorael, who at the very least thinks it's edifying to look at screenshots from Spiderweb through the ages. Compare the graphics of Exile 3, Avernum 3, Geneforge 3, and Avadon and you'll see how there is slow but steady progress. (Or not; some vocal fans still prefer the Exile 3 graphics.)

This kind of a RPGs isn't as niche as it seems. There are plenty of Fallout and BG fans who are waiting for this kind of game. But most of them will not tolerate this lack of visual polish. The developer really need to dream big and spend more. You have something special here in Avadon, don't let the budget hold you back.

At $9 this game is a deal, but the obvious visual compromises left me wanting. I would rather pay more to see the vision for this game fulfilled than pay less and deal with the game's budget short comings.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
p sure he meant it was his first SW game

your right, I meant that this is my first game, I changed it accordingly. smile Once I finish this game, im gonna explore their other games. ^^ Really enjoying it.

Originally Posted By: Self-deletion fan fiction
Jeff isn't willing to risk his profit margins to splurge on graphics if he can sell games without them.

Dont get me wrong, im not saying it has bad graphics. I like the style of the game. Im not at all bothered by it. It just takes me out of immersion of the game when it doesnt have the accompanied animation.

Originally Posted By: Kexin
At $9 this game is a deal, but the obvious visual compromises left me wanting. I would rather pay more to see the vision for this game fulfilled than pay less and deal with the game's budget short comings

I agree somewhat! Im not sure how far you mean that this game is lacking in the vision department, if your just talking about animations, then nothing more needs to be said. smile