Playing a canister junkie?

Triumph

First, which game has depictions of canister madness for those who use a ton of canisters, G2 or G3? I've always played them using few to no canisters, but I'd like to try to the other side of things.

Second, what class / build is gains the most from being a canister junkie? I want to powergame, something I've not really done before.

I have just recently played Geneforge 2 up till Rising land.Been playing couple of times with Shaper class.

Compared to say Geneforge 4, the amount of canister intake doesnt effect NPC dialogue or the 'madness' issue much. Your public relation issue really just depends whether you are unaligned/with a faction. Then again, this makes it easier to manage without worrying about canister intake too much.

That said, Geneforge 4/5 was fun in the sense that you have to control your intake(no more than 8 if I am not mistaken), to avoid anger problem.

I believe that being Altered in the Magus complex has some impact in NPC relation? someone should correct me on this as I have not completed the game. There're several moments where your 'addiction' would be noted by NPCs.

As for your 2nd question, I would imagine that a Guardian would need every help from canisters and items he could get his hands on. A no-canister shaper(not sure about agents) is doable.

I would sometime impose a limit on canisters on my playthrough(4 or 5). It's plain fun decision making

-Should I take the Clawbug can? Wouldn't it be obsolete by time I get drayks/Glaahks?

-Create Ornk? Tempting..........

Actually, I'm almost certain being enhanced (by any faction) does NOT affect how people treat you or count toward canisters.

I've played through before abstaining from canisters, or using just a handful of choice ones.

I know in G1 there are basically no repercussions for canister use, nor are there any meaningful consequences in G5. It was the middle games that saw the heyday of canisters that bring power and madness.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
I know in G1 there are basically no repercussions for canister use, nor are there any meaningful consequences in G5. It was the middle games that saw the heyday of canisters that bring power and madness.

There are no major repercussions for using canisters other than looking prettier and IIRC one encounter with a renegade Sholai who steals your Taker amulet. There are, however, MAJOR repercussions for using the Geneforge, so be sure you finish up all your business in towns before doing so.

...this thread sucks. Only a couple of people have actually tried to answer Triumph's question.

G2 has a few changes if you use lots of canisters, but not a lot. Occasionally, as the amount of canisters you've used goes up, you'll get messages when you return to town. I haven't really played G3, but I remember the consequences of using canisters is more severe. So from a story perspective, G3 will probably be the most different.

However, canister use in G2 reduces the amount of training you can buy, so from a gameplay perspective, G2 might actually be the most different. It might not be fun, because who wants to hold off on canister use until after you've bought training, but it'll be different.

Dikiyoba suspects that, as a general rule, a Shaper will benefit the most, since canisters are really the only way to create the upgraded version of most creations and Shapers rely on creations more than the other classes. But a Shaper with a variety of creation types might not always be the best powergaming option.