Want to find the right game

Death Knight

Im a little lost. I played geneforge 1 as an agent and it was great. Now i cant seem to find another game that fits the "solo" aspect of it. I played avadon 1 and hated it, because you cant solo it without extreme powergaming. Avernum fits under the same category, except for the original 3, (i only played 1). It really kind of sucks that i played geneforge first as though i liked it, i wanted Avernum and avadon to be just like it. Oh well. Has anyone else found anything close to these observations?

Yeah Geneforge 2 is on my list. I played avernum 1 quite a bit. The only problem was that it was a bit too retro for me and i hated how you move. I tried avernum 4 and 5 as the graphics were better but they are swarm-based. I dont know, Im more of a mano y mano type of fight where two powerful fighters/mages fight it out to the death. Ya know i'd play avadon if you could solo it with a shadowwalker. I just dont feel like trying as i had problems with the game as a party (sorc, Shadow, and Blademaster).

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
Ya know i'd play avadon if you could solo it with a shadowwalker. I just dont feel like trying as i had problems with the game as a party (sorc, Shadow, and Blademaster).

You can if you increase dexterity to 35 and endurance to 18 plus add all the evasion runestones to your armor. The only things you can't fight are Zephyrine and Redbeard. It isn't easy but a missile fighter can avoid enough damage to kill almost everything.

You see thats where the problem is though. Isnt defeating zephyrine and redbeard a major part and quest for the game? I remember i stopped playing that game as the battles took way too long. If i played with a lone shadow walker, id have all of the guys on me, beating on me, at most i'd attack or act twice, I cant run away.

That's probably my biggest dread in both avernum and avadon-getting away from melee. You cant get out of position to remount an attack like in geneforge. At least in avernum 5, there's higher terrain. In avadon, you can only move 1 space to back out. The original avernum series had it down with counterattacks to leave.

I still shouldnt hate on any of this as it makes no sense. Hopefully jeff will make another series that echoes geneforge.

On torment I soloed a sorceress but was unable to kill Zephyrine, Redbeard, and I used the soldiers for the Titan Keep palisades. I also didn't fight Angevine because the stone guardians require physical damage.

I soloed a shadowwalker and couldn't kill Zephyrine and Redbeard. Fighter classes are much easier since you don't have to split up stats except dexterity and endurance. A sorceress needs some intelligence.

I stopped my blademaster game with the final Castle Vebeaux quest. It should be easier than a shadowwalker because of parry.

I never tried a shaman, but after Slarty's analysis it isn't as hard as I thought because dexterity helps some shaman spells.

I didn't kill all the soldiers in the Deep Beraza Woods, but that was because there wasn't any use for the extra loot.

It's harder than a full party, but once you know what the fights are you can plan for them.

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
Isnt defeating zephyrine and redbeard a major part and quest for the game?

Not necessarily. Jeff intended them to be optional, and you can easily complete the game without killing either one of them. They're not as optional as they should be, but you can skip them without problems.

Dikiyoba.

I might give avadon a try later on. However, this time i am going to max everything I do (sidequests, etc.) so i get the best stuff. The only reason i find the avernum games to be hard is not because they are hard but because it takes forever to kill a group of five regular monsters while solo. I know this was intended for parties, but hopefully jeff makes avernum like avadon when it comes to battle disciplines. Lots of area attacks should go to weapons skills like arrow, blade, spear. I always never liked the fact that the only area affect attacks were from magic or priest spells.