Commitment Issues

I've just started to replay the first Geneforge with the intention of playing the entire series in order(I've only played the first two before). I decided that I wasn't going to align myself with the Awakened, since I always pick the middle ground in Geneforge games. So I made it to Pentil, but I'd just come from reading some blogs on religious extremism, and the choices reminded me too much of that so I closed out of conversations instead of actually making a choice. So then I thought, okay, if I can kill Ellrah and get out of Watchhill on my first try, I'll join the Takers. So I did, but then opened a saved game, since I hadn't actually reached Kazg yet and didn't want to burn any bridges too early in the game. Now I've cleared the entire bottom half of the map, and I still can't commit to anyone. I have such a hard time saying mean things in computer games and it's dumb. Does anyone else have troubles/thoughts on alignments?

They are all scum. Jeff wrote it so every faction had some good and bad points so no matter what you picked you would be left with a bad taste in your mouth from agreeing with them.

The Awakened sounded so good until you find those red spots where the other sides' spies were caught. The Takers have an honest grudge for living downstream from a Shaper's toxic waste dump, but want to kill them all. The Obeyers are idiots trying to keep the others from getting anywhere while waiting for the Shapers return.

Originally Posted By: Nicothodes
I have such a hard time saying mean things in computer games and it's dumb. Does anyone else have troubles/thoughts on alignments?

Yes and yes. I played all the way through Geneforge without ever committing to a faction, even though I kept meaning too, because I couldn't bring myself to commit to just one faction. I liked the ideals of the Awakened, I somewhat admired the (misguided) dedication of the Obeyers, and I at least felt sort of sorry for the Takers. I also agree about being forced to say mean things; I don't like it. At least G1 and G2 both gave the option of abstaining from factions. Learned Clois (sp?) and Aodare (sp?) FTW! (People who, in one way or another, give advice pertaining to taking an independent path.) Although I actually found it easier to commit to factions in G2, for some reason. I guess it's a testament to the quality of G1's writing (or at least how much I liked the writing of G1) that I found it so hard to choose from among the factions there.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
I also agree about being forced to say mean things; I don't like it. At least G1 and G2 both gave the option of abstaining from factions. Learned Clois (sp?) and Aodare (sp?) FTW!

If simply saying something mean is too much for you, there is no way you should be happy to listen to Aodare, given that he wants you to slaughter practically everyone in the game.

Dikiyoba usually goes for the Obeyers or remains unaligned but takes the Obeyer's ending in G1. The Awakened have good points, but what they want you to do with the Geneforge results in far more damage than progress. Trajkov also makes a few good points, but his followers (both human and servile) leave a lot to be desired. Of course, given what we see of the Shapers in the later games, perhaps Trajkov was right all along.

Okay, so now I've gone and officially joined the Takers. My real life reason is to make myself be not nice in a game, since I've gotten to the point where I don't steal even if there are no consequences(though I'm not sure that doesn't just mean I have messed up priorities, since I have no qualms about killing in-game). My in-game reason for joining is because my character didn't feel like fighting or sneaking into the research labs and joining meant she could walk through the front gate and get free stuff. She's undecided over whether to kill everyone at some point or not. This whole ordeal has been a bit wearing on her sanity. Oh god, I just realised that I had to say that my character was lazy and mentally unstable in order to justify my actions. Well, t least with the canisters it makes sense...

Originally Posted By: Nicothodes
Okay, so now I've gone and officially joined the Takers. My real life reason is to make myself be not nice in a game, since I've gotten to the point where I don't steal even if there are no consequences(though I'm not sure that doesn't just mean I have messed up priorities, since I have no qualms about killing in-game). My in-game reason for joining is because my character didn't feel like fighting or sneaking into the research labs and joining meant she could walk through the front gate and get free stuff. She's undecided over whether to kill everyone at some point or not. This whole ordeal has been a bit wearing on her sanity. Oh god, I just realised that I had to say that my character was lazy and mentally unstable in order to justify my actions. Well, t least with the canisters it makes sense...

It gets easier to justify if you use the Geneforge. You literally can't not kill everyone you meet!

It's funny that one should care so much what pixelated NPCs think of you.

I too, had problems in choosing good and evil in videogames. Though, most choices in games like KOTOR and Fable aren't too severe. You could practically 'fix' your alignment by doing some quest or killing a major NPC.

The choices are more organic in Geneforge IMO. Helping the Shapers for a whole chapter(Moseh/Heart of Kiln) and turning in Mehken was rather hard(for me) in Gene 4.

I can't help but feel that the whole Geneforge universe is an alternate version of Yugoslavia's civil war.