Has the dialog script format changed?

Walker White

One of the things that I like to to with Jeff's games is play around with the dialog files. If I screw something up, and my best save is to far away, I add some dialog to someone in town with some code that fixes the problem. Us long-time Spiderweb files understand Avernum/Geneforge script almost as well as Jeff.

The dialog scripts for Avadon appear to be exactly the same as previous games. However, my tricks are no longer working. When I add new dialog nodes in the fortress, dialog fails. As in everyone stops talking to me. I click on someone and no dialog box appears at all.

I am not doing anything different. So the only thing I can think of is that there are some other files that track the dialog nodes in the scripts -- like a checksum.

All is not lost, however. It appears that I can safely alter the code of any existing dialog node. I just cannot add new dialog nodes. So I can make the butler in my living quarters do everything that I need to do.

The Avadon dialogue script is at the size limit the game allows. You can't add to it. You should be able to tweak the scripts in the other zones.

In future titles, the scripts will be in the application bundle. They can be edited, though I'm not sure how editing files in the bundle affects the app's ability to run.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
The Avadon dialogue script is at the size limit the game allows. You can't add to it. You should be able to tweak the scripts in the other zones.

This is what I suspected given what was happening. Is the size limit imposed in the game software, or is there another configuration file? If it is the former, doesn't this violate the entire principle of data-driven design?

Originally Posted By: Spidweb

In future titles, the scripts will be in the application bundle. They can be edited, though I'm not sure how editing files in the bundle affects the app's ability to run.

It should not be any different than in the current design, where it is in a folder. The entire purpose of the bundle is that these resources can be swapped out (e.g. for localization).

"This is what I suspected given what was happening. Is the size limit imposed in the game software, or is there another configuration file? If it is the former, doesn't this violate the entire principle of data-driven design?"

It's imposed in the game software. It might violate the entire principle of data-driven design, but it is entirely in line with the principle of Release the Game Some Time In This Century.

Or, to put it another way, I can't justify spending some of my desperately limiting time to enable unknown third parties to hack the app. I'm sure this makes at least a little bit of sense.

By the way, you won't be able to hack the Mac App Store version for sure. This is an Apple issue ... All App Store (and iOS) apps have checksums baked in to prevent any alteration. Not my fault.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
An OS X application is essentially a folder. In fact, if you look at it from Windows, it even shows up as a folder. Editing files inside the application works the same way as if those files were not inside the application bundle to begin with.

To see the folder on a Mac, just right-click the app and choose Show Package Contents.