Urgent_Query

I said it in the other (Geneforge 5 forum--the real identity thread), but I think the evidence best supports Monarch is the GF1 character who used (then destroyed) the Geneforge.

Points in favor of this:

• Ending text has character stomping off to the wilderness to use an army of creations to keep him safe
  • Character "rules"
  • The use of a control baton to control otherwise unruly creations (where else do we see those besides GF1?)

At least, that's what makes sense to me.

I thought the G1 ending of that situation had a long war against the shapers of which neither was dominant. Monarch was more of a troublesome barrier between two powerful and opposing forces, than having a full out war with the shapers.

The G2 character never did anything to gain any considerable power in any endings. Because of what actually did happen, it seems he was probably pro-shaper or unaligned. If he was pro shaper, he wouldn't have become Monarch and if he was unaligned, he wouldn't have much of a source of gaining power.

The G3 PC was of great importance to both sides in the early war. I don't think either side would lose track of him so easily.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Jeff doesn't like reintroducing PCs in later games. In geneforge 5 you go into the forbidden mines/lab to try to find uncover the assassination plot, you found out that a Shaper (Guardian I think) 50 years ago made a golem imbued with a demon and then fled. In geneforge 2 any of the power hungry shapers at head of the various factions research facilities would fit the bill. I think the Barzhites even had demon imbued golem go rouge. Their was a hermit/neutral shaper too that is good candidate. In geneforge 3 The hedge wizard in the mined woods on the first island is passable candidate as is the other student from your school you find on the last island. The only passible candite in geneforge 1 is the shaper who set himself up in the protoshaper ruins.

I wouldn't rule out the Jeff intentionally making it some one not seen anywhere else in the series period. I think he left it vague, with it not quite fitting anyone person seen elsewhere in series, just to keep us guessing.

Originally Posted By: Sage of Numenor
So who's Monarch?
Monarch is none of these, he is simply Monarch. A npc to obstruct your progress in Geneforge 4.

If we continue to speculate as to who (or even what) he is, then someone will eventually suggest that he is X. Please dont make us suffer by trying to prove that.

Personally, I think Jeff never thought of any correlation between these people, but we are simply creating them. I think it is much more likely we are all just fanatics.

The characters that are used from previous games are made quite obvious. In G2 (which I'm playing now), the servile which guards Belik's bridge is named Mekkan. This servile has no correlation with the G5 Mekkan. No Mekkan was in G3 or G4. Jeff just kinda reuses stuff from time to time.

Originally Posted By: Txgangsta
Personally, I think Jeff never thought of any correlation between these people, but we are simply creating them. I think it is much more likely we are all just fanatics.

The characters that are used from previous games are made quite obvious. In G2 (which I'm playing now), the servile which guards Belik's bridge is named Mekkan. This servile has no correlation with the G5 Mekkan. No Mekkan was in G3 or G4. Jeff just kinda reuses stuff from time to time.

Oh, how could you?!
Have you no respect for the spirit of post hoc gaming archaeology? (that's what it's called, you know)