Much greater than the sum of it's parts

Hey folks, so after spending about 10 hours with the avernum demo (and still having more left!!!! Great demo!!!) I finally just splurged on the trilogy cd. I'm really loving it.

A buddy and I both get the itch for a little old school rpg occasionally but always have trouble coming up with something to scratch the itch. Well this time I stumbled upon Avernum and we've both been blown away. Spiderweb just got two sales out of us. What's been interesting to me though is how well the retro graphics serve the purpose of the game.

I'm 35 so grew up playing a lot of the regular stuff that I'm sure we all know and love. And my gaming has evolved over the years with the industry, and I for the most part enjoy the new eye candy games. But Ive been surprised at what I've rediscovered with Avernum. Imagination.

Is it just me or do the minimalist graphics actually help engage your imagination more thoroughly thus providing what I'm tempted to say is an even more immersive experience than hyper "realistic" graphics? And a little text goes a long way towards that same end. I'm finding that I'm falling back in love with more text descriptors and even wish there were more of it!

I don't know, it just feels like the basic graphics and the text are spurring my imagination to paint quite a vivid image of the game world. Have others experienced this as well?

Okay, you've got me investigating BoA now. Pushers...

Originally Posted By: Rent-an-Ihrno
I agree. Maybe I wouldn't say it's the simple graphics though, but rather the simple controls and gaming system that support the images the texts put in your head.

Yes, I think that's what I'm getting at. The graphics do the basic job of tactical place holding and geographical layout...after which they just get out of the way and loose the players imagination. The text pulls a ton of weight here too.

I think with more realistic graphics, the imagery is great but there's so little left to the imagination that all you have is what's there on the screen. For me, that seems to fall short of what some good text and basic graphical layout form within my mind.

Anyway, still having a freakin' blast...

It's not primarily the graphics, I mean I've modified most of the character related graphicxs in my games to my preference anyway. I find it's more the fact it's explained in words not graphic and audibly. You can't imagine things when a cutscene plays out with characters speaking for themselves with no input from you.

Therein is why I think Avernum succeeds, in the first trilogy you rely on the dialogs to tell the story. Which is the gateway to imagination, allowing our minds to fill in the blanks.