A6 - What's better?

Xander

Originally Posted By: Txgangsta
I think when I get A6 I'll have both a dual weild guy and a pole guy. I'll take the two best swords as well as the best pole and go to town all melee happy.

Having done this route quite a bit, I can testify that you'll be better off with two dual-wielders than one dual and one pole. You start off with one sword and a shield, then move to dual wield as swords and skill become available. There are a lot of good swords from the mid-game on, and a dual wielder does a lot more damage in my experience than a pole attack. As you push Quick Action up, he seems to get a lot more multiple attacks than the pole guy does, and parry and riposte are not so frustrating because you always get two swings.

The good pole weapons, like the jade halberd, promise a lot of damage, but don't deliver it all that often (though, when they do, it's pretty awesome). The swords produce big chunks of damage pretty reliably.

Originally Posted By: Roentgenium
I have to disagree. A wooden shield gives more armor then leather armor, and the steel shield is both obtainable early and it gives a huge boost to armor.

The numbers might look good, but only if you don't examine what the numbers actually MEAN. Using a halberd instead of a broadsword will increase your damage output by approximately 25%, without accounting for bonus points you may get for being a Slith. Dual-wielding will increase your damage output by more than that, even after accounting for points spent (or not spent) in the Dual Wielding skill.

A wooden shield that gives -- what -- 12% armor protection? will reduce SOME of the damage (physical damage) that ONE of your characters takes by about 12%. Yes, by all means, give spellcasters shields. But characters who are primarily attacking in close range are far better off with both hands used for weapons, and more importantly, the party is better off with that setup.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Dual-wielders don't really come into their own until you start getting broadswords that are light enough to be wielded in the off-hand. Until then, pole weapons are comparable or even slightly better.

This is true. I didn't mention that in my discussion, but the pole damage tends to be better in the early part of the game. You can effect a good whole-game balance with one dual-wielder and one pole-wielder, but for serious a**-kicking in the mid-game on, I'd really like to dump my pole guy in exchange for another dual-wielder. Especially since I've got a pack full of spiffy flaming, freezing, oozing, venomous swords that I can only use two at a time.

Originally Posted By: So Much Killing
This is true. I didn't mention that in my discussion, but the pole damage tends to be better in the early part of the game. You can effect a good whole-game balance with one dual-wielder and one pole-wielder, but for serious a**-kicking in the mid-game on, I'd really like to dump my pole guy in exchange for another dual-wielder. Especially since I've got a pack full of spiffy flaming, freezing, oozing, venomous swords that I can only use two at a time.

I get around this with having my two main melee chars DW and making my Priest a Slith - results (assuming in standard traits of DT, etc.) in plenty of open firepower with the two Sword DW'ers, but also means that you've got a fairly serviceable pole-user whenever you're saving MP/a fight calls for melee instead of magic.

Ruperts party sounds quite sound. I think I may go with that. Is there any issue with having only one priest? (other than if he get mind controled).

Well, that is a fairly big issue when it happens. I like to get around it by giving my mage some priest spells too.

A priest casting heal is always more effective than using a potion. (Once your priest is actually competant) Having your priest charmed/terrified is always a bad thing, and it seems like only the enemies that can actually pose a threat to your party use charm/terror. It is always helpful to give your characters a few points in priest, especially the mages since they tend to have more spellcraft.

Ruperts party sounds quite sound. I think I may go with that. Is there any issue with having only one priest? (other than if he get mind controled).

Tough enemies and thosr who don't take much damage from other attacks than rebel spirit or on sentinel-test (2nd) having 2 healers is good thing and couple other fights 2 priests (and 2 mages) come handy.