Why can't I play Avernum 6 on an iPad?

K_I_L_E_R

It's a tough call. There are already a couple of million iPads out there, and if even 1% of them bought A6 for even $6, that might be worth a couple months of Jeff's time. Especially if it gave him a user base that could be counted on to keep buying more of his games in future.

Of course, there are a lot more than a million computers out there, and Jeff is not getting anywhere near 1% of them as customers. Maybe the fact that the iPad/iPhone app is relatively young as a platform would let Jeff get a bigger share if he got in early, though. That's the question.

Jeff has written about this in his blog, though, and concluded that the answer is, No. My take on this is that a big reason he's still in business after all these years is that he's a conservative businessman who just wants to make a living doing what he likes. He's not looking for a gamble that might make him rich, but might also make him bankrupt. He's spinning a roulette wheel enough as it is, with each new game he releases. He doesn't want to throw six months' work into porting to iPad, when the chances are high that he wouldn't make much money by doing so, and when six months' more work on Avadon will bring him six months closer to releasing it and getting the sales he can more confidently expect.

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
what SoT said, only way to see Spidweb-games on Ipad etc is that some1 else recodes games for Ipad etc.

Also Apple takes their share on sales so ................

Acer's and MSI's tablets which have Windows os and x86 processor prolly could run SW-games.

I did not even think of that. Mouse clicks become finger presses. I will definitely buy a tablet and test Avernum 6 on it and tell you guys how it all works with touch.

Originally Posted By: Basilisk Wrangler
Since we're on the subject- supporting iPhone/iPad is looking less-and-less likely. Apple has some very strict licensing requirements on iPhone/iPad development. It turns out that Steve Jobs doesn't want people to write one piece of code and port it to as many devices as possible. There are specific development restrictions that make it difficult to do this.

On why it isn't happening for another game developer on his website.