A6 - Broke 2nd Construct Test

RandomOG

I seem to have broken the second construct test in the PC version of Avernum 6 by the simple, but silly, method of killing the Red (Fire?) Construct in the first test. Now I can't seem to speak the command words to any of the remaining constructs. Don't know if this is intentional or a bug. Instructions were to observe them and survive, after all ...

Just for Info

Randomiser (the UK version!)

Wait, what?

Randomizer is going global? Have we recently acquired any further randomizing members? Is it all a big conspiracy? WHAT IS GOING ON???!!!

I really miss RWG. I wasn't actually any more in the loop then, since my impressive-sounding rank of Imponderable Archon turned out to be very low in the inscrutable hierarchy. But my implants always knew what was what, and that was comforting to know.

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
Timing is irrelevant in this case. You could spam 50 new threads and still acquire the same amount of posts from spamming 50 old threads.
Timing is paramount, actually. If you posted in 50 threads 30 seconds after the most recent post by dint of ctrl+r'ing the board index, and responding with short affirmations of what has already been posted, that would be spam. If, however, you waited thirty minutes before responding to each topic, and spaced out your responses so that you posted no more than once every five minutes or so, and make them so that they are maybe a few hundred words or so (or paragraph, that works wonders, too) you MAGICALLY become an "active member of the community".

(see what I did there?)It's a truism that holds across all message boards on the internet, except the ones where the posting rate is so frequent that it is impossible to discern "spam" from "not spam". I'm looking at you, Wikipedia! It's really wondrous how this stuff works.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Randomizer is going global? Have we recently acquired any further randomizing members? Is it all a big conspiracy? WHAT IS GOING ON???!!!

It's all very simple. Randomiser is Randomizer's doppelganger (or perhaps Randomizer is Randomiser's doppelganger).

Dikiyoba has had reports of Dikiyoba's doppelganger over the years, but alas, Dikiyoba has never had the opportunity to meet up with them.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

It's all very simple. Randomiser is Randomizer's doppelganger (or perhaps Randomizer is Randomiser's doppelganger).

Dikiyoba has had reports of Dikiyoba's doppelganger over the years, but alas, Dikiyoba has never had the opportunity to meet up with them.

I prefer the simpler explanation that Randomiser is a split personality due to a malfunction in Randomizer's bot. Aran should be along to fix everything shortly.

Nothing to see here, move along...

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

If you were to meet up with your doppelganger, you both would die, and the third doppleganger would absorb your luck(s), thus becoming a near perfect being that succeeds at almost anything it attempts.

I could be corrected by a real German-speaker, but I believe that this mutated quote should read

Denn alle Themen, sie sind wie Gras,

Und alle Herrlichkeit des Spinnennetzes wie des Grases Blumen.

Das Gras ist verdorret, und die Blume abgefallen.

Themen (topics) is plural, where the original (Fleisch, 'flesh') was singular. And where the genitive form of Mensch (human being) is Menschen, the genitive of Spinnennetz (spiderweb) is Spinnennetzes.

For all topics, they are like grass,

And all the glory of the Spiderweb as the flowers of the field.

The grass is withered and the flower fallen away.

The original was New Testament Greek; perhaps Kelandon can deliver the Ur-Text.

I could be corrected by a real German-speaker, but I believe that this mutated quote should read

Denn alle Themen, sie sind wie Gras,
Und alle Herrlichkeit des Spinnennetzes wie des Grases Blumen.
Das Gras ist verdorret, und die Blume abgefallen.

Themen (topics) is plural, where the original (Fleisch, 'flesh') was singular. And where the genitive form of Mensch (human being) is Menschen, the genitive of Spinnennetz (spiderweb) is Spinnennetzes.

For all topics, they are like grass,
And all the glory of the Spiderweb as the flowers of the field.
The grass is withered and the flower fallen away.

The original was New Testament Greek; perhaps Kelandon can deliver the Ur-Text.

I did NOT misspell my German, I took that from a direct transcript of the Brahms requiem, plus two words added by Google translator. (themen and spinneretz).

I also think that the "original" text would be from the Vulgate, not the Greek version, but seeing as I'm not a biblical scholar in any manner, I should probably leave that claim alone.

You didn't adapt the gender and number agreements when you switched in your new words, so as it stands what you have is ungrammatical, like writing 'For all topics is like grass' in English.

Brahms might well have worked directly from a German NT translation, for all I know, but the Vulgate is itself a Latin translation from the original Greek. Hence the name 'Vulgate': a rendering into the common tongue, as it then was.

And I'm sorry to keep on with this stupid nitpicking, and I promise I'll stop now, but this has been bugging me a bit every time I see it, so while I'm at it: wasn't the character named Salvor Hardin?

You didn't adapt the gender and number agreements when you switched in your new words, so as it stands what you have is ungrammatical, like writing 'For all topics is like grass' in English.

Brahms might well have worked directly from a German NT translation, for all I know, but the Vulgate is itself a Latin translation from the original Greek. Hence the name 'Vulgate': a rendering into the common tongue, as it then was.

And I'm sorry to keep on with this stupid nitpicking, and I promise I'll stop now, but this has been bugging me a bit every time I see it, so while I'm at it: wasn't the character named Salvor Hardin?

No, it's General Bel Riose. I couldn't find a picture of Hardin.

Which reminds me, Riose vanished now to be replaced by someone else. Presto chango... magnifico!

EDIT:Oh, you were talking about my sig. Yeah, you're right (wow that's embarrassing). I blame the autocorrect on Chrome for changing it to "Salvador".

EDIT EDIT: We were never at war with eastasia.