Random talking about spiderweb related things.

Regar

So! I just listened to Jeff's interview on active time babble, and found out that, in addition to the fact that i have been pronouncing "Avernum" wrong, Jeff is planning to do a rewrite for the series (just like exile was rewritten into Avernum). Also that a new game is in the works with a class system rather than the skill set that avernum used (A good few of you likely know all of this.)

This brought a few questions to mind.

First, how many other people mispronounced Avernum? I was pronouncing it a like apple (ah) when it's actually more like the a in averted (uh).

Second, will the new Avernum get a new name? I think for the sake of simplicity I'll just call it Newvernum until the real name is announced.

Third, if the new game is class based, what does that mean for singletons? no more jack of all trades... unless there's a class designed specifically for that.

I also have to express my gratitude to Jeff for his comments about not letting Avernum die. I love Avernum, the world is just so unique, quirky, and occasionally dark, and the writing makes it come together in a great way. It makes me very glad to see that it will not be left to gather dust. Of course remaking it won't be free, so we'll all have to buy a copy (or, if you're like me and have some patience, buy the 1/2/3 compilation CD)

Speaking of the writing, in Avernum 4 you come across a mage early in the game who is described as "nuttier than a bag of nuts", i find that absolutely hilarious.

Ok, that's all, i'm done, just felt like talking. Feel free to speculate or share if you feel the need, it's a forum after all.

It remains to be seen if Jeff is doing a traditional RPG class system, where, for example, each magic-using class gets access to its own set of totally unique abilities that other classes can't ever use. He might not. Technically, Geneforge has classes, even though the only differences between them amount to very broad skill point subsidies that are no more significant than the difference between Elite Warrior and Natural Mage in Avernum. This even seems likely since Jeff has repeatedly and consistently railed against traditional, locked-in class systems.

But singletons usually work fine with traditional class systems. People will quickly settle on one or two classes that are easiest for singleton play (often, paladin and cleric type classes). But almost any will be playable. Thurilith beat G4 on Torment without making a single creation or casting a single spell -- these things are always doable.