Installation problems

Edward Collins

I'm running Vista home premium 64 (or whatever this is crappy OS called), and can not install Exile 3. I downloaded it, but whenever I try to install it, it say "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you are running. Check your computer's system to see whether you need an x86 (32 bit) or 64 (64 bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher."

Well, it tells you what the problem is right there: your OS is too new for the game. Exile 3 hasn't been updated in about a decade, so it's no big surprise, unfortunately. I guess you can try running it in compatibility mode, but you'll probably have better luck with Avernum 3, which is a remake of Exile 3 with a new engine.

The problem is not the Vista part. Through compatibility and tweaking, it's possible to run these games. I did so with blades of exile yesterday. The problem is the 64 bit part. Windows 64(any version) run 64bit programs natively and emulate 32bit programs. I believe the exile games are 16bit, however and thus not supported. Even moving a working installation won't work.

The only probable solutions I can think is either dual operating systems, in which you install a 32bit version of windows, or 16bit emulation, which I have not looked into.

Exile is 16 bit, yes. They seem to work on Win3.1 under DOSBox, for example.

I think it's possible to get it to work in compatibility mode. Did you think about telling the installer to run in compatibility mode?

Failing that, you can try an emulator.

I don't really know that much about Windows emulators for Windows, so I can't really recommend anything. I know there's WINE – you could get a Linux emulator and run the games under WINE, but that's probably silly (two layers of emulation instead of one). I also know that the games run in Win3.1 under DOSBox.

Whatever you choose, you'll need a copy of an older version of Windows — preferable Win3.1, Win95, or Win98SE.

And it runs DOS, which you don't need a copy of anything to run. That's the point of DOSBox.

—Alorael, who uses it to run the DOS versions of games he once ran on a Mac. He finds this very slightly amusing. Crushing his enemies and hearing the lamentations of their gender3-individuals in Master of Orion? Much more amusing.