A6 - I thought I was so clever...

Then I realized I'm just cheating.

So I'm running a party of 3 right now, and whenever I run into an area with a few locked chests (or a single high level one), I just Create New Character, dump 16 Tool Use into it, open the chests, and delete the character.

I did the same with Nature Lore on separate occasions. Then I realized "I am obviously abusing the character creation function, so maybe I should stop pretending, save myself some wasted clicking and just use the editor to add 16 tool use and 16 nature lore to one of my permanent characters (who isn't allowed to raise those levels higher)."

What do you think?

Plenty of people have just come out and said that they enjoy the game more if they cheat and give their party Nature Lore and Arcane Lore and Tool Use. Or maybe just the last of those. At any rate, that seems like an easier way to get the same effect with no party size restrictions.

—Alorael, who of course thinks the right thing to do is whatever you enjoy most. If not actually cheating and taking advantage of the engine is more satisfying, go for it! It's not unusual to put them in different categories. It also seems irrelevant in a single-player game, because the point of the game is to enjoy it. However that works for you is the right way to play.

I'm not a super dedicated RPer but if you want to, the editing in tool use etc can be justified by some backstory for one of your characters. Maybe character number two was a ninja thief before joining the army. What I'm saying is that there are ways to smooth over editor use.

I use the cheat codes to refill spell points and health when and only when I can safely return to a town but don't want to bother doing the clicking. I mean what's the point in madly racing back to town and then back into the dungeon. If you can get back legitimately why not make things easier and just say you did but use the editor instead of actually moving. I try to eliminate busy work that is overall meaningless to my enjoyment of Jeff's games.

I used to have trouble with money, then I figured out how to edit the item file to make stuff i have worth 30000 gold. cheating? definitely. should i just use the editor instead of buying skills off trainers? maybe, considering i have them all (and the list of how to get them, yay forums). was it fun figuring out how to do that? hell yes