Playing as a servile (first time through)[G5]

I don't know if a servile is the best choice for a first run through G5, but I would like to try.

Is a missile-slinging servile a decent choice, or is it too limited i.e. if you get swarmed? I might also go for a magic servile, just trying to get the build worked out. I read a post just now about Servile builds, looked pretty good but I didn't read the whole thing. Any thoughts on being missile-centric would be great. Thanks!

Serviles aren't that great in G5. Also, missiles aren't the greatest. If you really want a servile, go with mental magic and a sword.

If this is your first run through, you may want to go with a shaper/lifecrafter. Being able to send hordes after enemy hordes is not only easy, its fun!

Serviles aren't bad, exactly, but no matter what character class you decide to play as, you'll definitely want both creations and mental magic. Serviles don't get very much essence, so they do reasonably well with a medium-sized swarm of cheap battle creations like clawbugs or alphas. Support them with some blessing magic, a few Daze spells and some melee or missile attacks of your own, and you'll do fine.

Missile weapons have the highest damage in the entire series. However, they can only hit one enemy, making them really suck when you get swarmed by Podlings in the Storm Plains. A missile oriented build would work quite well for the first three games (especially the first), but after that, where the large packs really start to show up, missiles just don't cut it.

Serviles are harder in G5 than in G4, where they really shone. I would recommend going the Lifecrafter route, and pumping Int (like 20 without items), battle shaping(10 without items), and Mental Magic(12ish without items). You should do fine.

Have fun!

Cool, thanks for the replies! I just started a lifecrafter. When I played a little earlier, the beetles in the beginning went after other people and left me alone, and I squished them one by one. With my lifecrafter, they seem to want to go after me. Must just be one of those things.

I take it a lifecrafter doesn't want to put on the armor/shield from the beginning? Thanks again!

Ummm, no. Lifecrafters should put on armor, but instead of going for damage-reducing items, you should instead go for stat-boosting items- for example, you should go for the Girdle of Genius instead of the Puresteel belt. After you have enough creations, you should not be getting hit, just blessing your creations. However, you do not have enough Essence in the beginning area (the mountains) to be able to do this. Instead, for the first few levels, you should equip the most protective armor you can get, since you will probably have to enter combat personally for the first 10 or so zones.

Originally Posted By: Justin Y.
Cool, thanks for the replies! I just started a lifecrafter. When I played a little earlier, the beetles in the beginning went after other people and left me alone, and I squished them one by one. With my lifecrafter, they seem to want to go after me. Must just be one of those things.

Enemies will usually attack whoever attacked them last. So if you attack an enemy just before it takes its turn, it'll go after you. If you don't want this, don't attack it.