Scenario editor questions...

rashira

Is there a way to change the textures without making them like like they were edited in MS paint?

Like, can i just copy and paste an object onto new textures? A house i am making contains tile floor (except for the indoor garden) and it would look weird to have stone floor under the beds and other objects but everything else be tile.

also, i would like to know if there is a way to make characters join as you progress through the scenario? I am making a scenario based upon a story i wrote which was inspired by exile, and in the story's prequel (in which i will also be making a scenario for) it starts with one character, then he meets another and they travel together as they are going to the same place. can this be done? if so how?

Originally Posted By: rashira
Is there a way to change the textures without making them like like they were edited in MS paint?

Like, can i just copy and paste an object onto new textures? A house i am making contains tile floor (except for the indoor garden) and it would look weird to have stone floor under the beds and other objects but everything else be tile.

There are a couple of ways to do this, depending on how much experience you have with image editors. Check out this article. The fact that there are images of the same floor with and without objects on it makes it easier.

Quote:
also, i would like to know if there is a way to make characters join as you progress through the scenario? I am making a scenario based upon a story i wrote which was inspired by exile, and in the story's prequel (in which i will also be making a scenario for) it starts with one character, then he meets another and they travel together as they are going to the same place. can this be done? if so how?

There's no way to make new PCs join the party, but you can get them to join you as allied monsters who assist in specific battles. If you want to do that, look at how scenarios like Doom Moon II and Spears do it.

Originally Posted By: rashira

In theory, couldn't you move the party to town #1, instruct the player to create a new character, then modify its stats to whatever they're supposed to be? It'd be cumbersome, but I don't see why it couldn't work. (Disclaimer: I have never actually tried anything like this)

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
Quote:

There's no way to make new PCs join the party, but you can get them to join you as allied monsters who assist in specific battles. If you want to do that, look at how scenarios like Doom Moon II and Spears do it.
There are two other alternatives. One is to wait several years until an OBoE release comes out that supports adding PCs, but that's probably not a good idea.

The other possibility, though, is with a prefab party. If I'm not mistaken, deleting a character does not wipe its data, and you can resurrect a character that has been deleted, so you could create the character (maybe in the PC editor), then delete it, and the scenario would resurrect it when it needs to join the party.

I haven't tried this, so I don't know how well it would work; also, you'd need to somehow enforce the use of the prefab party. But it's an idea.

All you really need to do is warn them of that fact. A short message in the intro text that says, "This scenario is meant to be played with the included premade party. Using any other party may cause the scenario to behave in unpredictable ways," should suffice.

No need to force them to adhere. It's wasted effort. If they want to waste their time in a scenario that's unbalanced or even unwinnable because they aren't playing like you told them to, let them, is what I say. Again, they're only hurting themselves.

Originally Posted By: Mistb0rn
If you can resurrect them, couldn't the player just resurrect them himself at a healer or something? If the characters were actually deleted, they'd be gone forever (and possibly replaced with the prefab party), wouldn't they?

Not quite. Even a deleted character's data is still preserved until it's overwritten by something else, like a new character. Now, the trick with this is that the Kill Party node kills party members even if they don't exist -- in other words, it turns deleted characters into dead characters, who can then be revived.