Crafting

Birk777

Well, I just did another play through of A5, and I realized something: I don't ever take advantage of any of the in game crafters besides Darkstalker Hleft and possibly the potions maker in Muck. So, I'm looking for opinions. Is there anything that you guys usually have crafted at a certain point in the game?

For fun, here are all of the (known) crafting locations, courtesy of Synergy's item list:

FORTUNATO’S BREWERY [2 thefts permitted] - CNE

• CRAFTS POTIONS:

- Healing Potion: Healing Herbs (2)

- Curing Potion: Healing Herbs

- Speed Potion: Healing Herbs, Spiritual Herbs, Energetic Herbs

- Energy Potion: Healing Herbs, Spiritual Herbs, Energetic Herbs

Galena - GALENA’S LEATHER (Slightly Expensive) - C

• CRAFTS LEATHER GOODS:

- Fine Leather Helmet (1 Fine Leather)

- Leather Vambraces (1 Fine Leather, 30c)

- Blessed Boots (8% Armor) (2 Fine Leather, 1 Focusing Crystal)

- Girdle of Strength (2 Fine Leather, 1 Focusing Crystal)

- Mercuric Leather (10% Armor, 10% Stun Resistance, -1 Strength, +1 Action Points) (4 Fine Leather, 2 Focusing Crystals)

HASKELL’S POTIONS - NW

• CRAFTS POTIONS:

- Healing Elixir - Graymold, Healing Herbs

- Curing Elixir - Graymold, Healing Herbs

- Energy Elixir - Graymold, Healing Herbs, Energetic Herbs

- Armor Elixir - Graymold, Spiritual Herbs, Energetic Herbs

GORP THE OGRE SMITH - SSW

• CRAFTS ARMOR & WEAPONS:

- Blessed Shortsword (10-20 dmg) - 1 Fine Steel, 1 Focusing Crystal

- Blessed Shield - 2 Fine Steel, 1 Focusing Crystal

- Blessed Breastplate (34% Armor, 50% Stun Resistance, -20% To Hit) - 4 Fine Steel, 2 Focusing Crystals

- Blessed Spear (12-36 dmg) - 3 Fine Steel, 1 Focusing Crystal

- Blessed Vambraces - 3 Fine Steel, 2 Focusing Crystals

MANDAVIAN’S SMITHY - CE

• CRAFTS ARMOR & WEAPONS (after doing Mandivian's Rats quest):

- Blessed Bracers (10% Armor, -10% to Hit, 3% Stun Resistance, 2% Hostile Effects Resistance) - 1 Fine Steel, 1 Focusing Crystal

- Blessed Gauntlets (5% Armor) - 1 Fine Steel, 1 Focusing Crystal

- Blessed Helmet (7% Armor, -5% to Hit) - 3 Fine Steel, 1 Focusing Crystal

- Blessed Broadsword (12-36 dmg) - 4 Fine Steel, 1 Focusing Crystal

SHAYLA - SW

• CRAFTS CUSTOM LEATHER GOODS:

- Drakeskin Bracers (6% Armor, -5% To Hit, 3% Stun Resistance, 2% Fire Resistance) [2 Fine Leather, 1 Focusing Crystal, 200c]

- Ice Hydra Helm (5% Armor, 10% Stun Resistance, 5% Cold Resistance) [2 Fine Leather, 1 Focusing Crystals, 200c]

- Drakeskin Cloak (10% Armor) [3 Fine Leather, 2 Focusing Crystals, 200c]

SPORTZ - CS

• CRAFTS WANDS:

- Sparkling Wand (Daze) - Stick, Focusing Crystal, Ruby, Mandrake Root

- Disruption Wand (Repel Spirit) - Stick, Focusing Crystal, Emerald, Spiritual Herbs

BRENDAN’S POTIONWORKS (kill) - Leather Vambraces - NE

• CRAFTS POTIONS:

- Augmentation Potion (Chitrach Claw, Graymold), Armor Elixir (Healing Herbs, Spiritual Herbs, Energetic Herbs, Beautiful Crystal), Invulnerability Potion (Mandrake Root and Graymold) after Dragon's Brew quest

ENDEREBA

• CRAFTS WEAPONS & ARMOR:

- Blessed Broadsword (12-36 dmg): 3 Fine Steel, 2 Focusing Crystals

- Blessed Halberd (12-48 dmg): 4 Fine Steel, Mandrake, 3 Focusing Crystals

- Mercuric Plate (34% Armor, 50% Stun Resistance, -20% To Hit, +1 Battle Speed, -1 Strength): 5 Fine Steel, Mandrake Tincture, Demon’s Bile, 4 Focusing Crystals

- Runed Vambraces (4% Armor, 5% Stun Resistance, 5% Energy Resistance): 3 Fine Steel, Mandrake Tincture, 4 Focusing Crystals

CHASH-AH ALCHEMY

• CRAFTS POTIONS (including Knowledge Brew!) [could make 12 intially] +7

- Healing Elixir: Healing Herbs, Graymold

- Curing Elixir: Healing Herbs, Graymold

- Speed Elixir: Spiritual Herbs, Energetic Herbs, Graymold

- Energy Elixir: Spiritual Herbs, Energetic Herbs, Graymold

- Invulnerable Potion: Healing Herbs, Spiritual Herbs, Energetic Herbs, Mandrake Root

- Knowledge Potion: Healing Herbs, Spiritual Herbs, Energetic Herbs, Graymold, Mandrake Root

BRENNAN’S CRAFTS

• CRAFTS WEAPONS & ARMOR:

- Suede Gloves (3% Armor, +2 Spellcraft, +2 Resistance): 4 Fine Leather, Mandrake Tincture, 2 Focusing Crystals, 300c)

- Wisdom Crystal: Energetic Herbs, Mandrake Root, Focusing Crystal, 300c

- Talisman of Might (+4 Strength): Gold Necklace, Demon's Bile, 4 Focusing Crystals, Eyestalks, 300c

- Warmaster Helm (7% Armor, +25% Fatigue Removal, 25% Stun Resistance, +2 damage levels in combat): 5 Fine Steel, 4 Focusing Crystals, Mandrake Tincture, Demon’s Bile, 300c

- Armor Ring (6% Armor, 8% Stun Resistance): Platinum Ring, Mandrake Root, Focusing Crystal (2), 300c

DARKSTALKER HELFT'S WORKSHOP - NW

• CRAFTS ARMOR & WEAPONS:

1) Blessed Armor Band (8% Armor, 10% Stun Resistance, 4% Hostile Effects Resistance) [2 Fine Steel, Mandrake Tincture, 4 Focusing Crystals, 500c]

2) Heartstriker Bow (8-32 dmg) [5 Fine Leather, Mandrake Tincture, 4 Focusing Crystals, Eyestalk, 500c]

3) Putrified Gauntlets (9% Armor, -1 Strength, -1 Dexterity, 50% Acid Resistance, +5 Spellcraft) [5 Fine Leather, Demon’s Bile, 4 Focusing Crystals, Eyestalk, 500c]

4) Blasted Vambraces (9% Armor, 8% Stun Resistance, -10% To Hit, +1 Strength, +2 Resistance) [4 Fine Steel, Demon’s Bile, 4 Focusing Crystals, 500c]

5) Wand of the Inferno [Eyestalk, Demon’s Bile, 2 Focusing Crystals, 500c]

6) Rod of Alacrity (Group Haste) [Eyestalk, Mandrake Tincture, 2 Focusing Crystals, 500c]

Well, I've only gotten to Highground (I keep starting over with new Party builds) but I remember I'd save my Greymold to make as many Energy Potions/Elixirs as I could (great for those "oh crap" fights, esp. if you're playing Hard or Torment), and the Blessed Breastplate from Gorp is a HUGE improvement over what's available to you via drops and quests up until that point, so I always had one of those crafted. The Mercurial Leather can be nice too, if you can manage the Strength loss (it's sort of like having built-in Haste).

Honestly though, unless you're doing the game lazy-style and skipping Side Quests and/or Job Board quests, by the time you can reach a specific Crafter (and have all the mats gathered together), you'll have gotten equivalent gear from Named Monsters, Quest Rewards, etc. with a few exceptions (like the Blessed Breastplate from Gorp). Not to mention, if you're skipping quests, you're probably going to be low on Focusing Crystals, Fine Steel, etc.

Lastly, I always found the Blessed Items in general to be a poor investment: they're really only good for your meat shield/tank/fighter character, and only if you haven't found gear with Good Stats on it. Generally, it's not worth taking a Blessed piece with 2% more armor and giving up Strength or Parry or Blademaster or whatever. This is a problem because you'll notice that the majority of the crafted stuff from Blacksmiths is - you guessed it - various pieces of Blessed armor.

I've had crafted energy potions/elixirs but only because I rely on spellcasters for damage.

Suede Gloves and Talisman of Might for my mage in Muck for extra spell damage and being able to wear Runed Plate when I get it. Mecuric Plate with other bonus AP items is also nice for the remainder of the game.

Originally Posted By: Marak

Honestly though, unless you're doing the game lazy-style and skipping Side Quests and/or Job Board quests, by the time you can reach a specific Crafter (and have all the mats gathered together), you'll have gotten equivalent gear from Named Monsters, Quest Rewards, etc. with a few exceptions (like the Blessed Breastplate from Gorp). Not to mention, if you're skipping quests, you're probably going to be low on Focusing Crystals, Fine Steel, etc.

I'm not entirely sure this was directed to me but I'll answer it anyways.

I always do every quest I possibly can, and try to kill every enemy I meet, so I usually end up with a lot of stuff. Its just that when I know that there are a limited amount of these things in the game, I will hang onto them for quite a while, use them only when I have a large amount of the supplies needed, and just wait and see if there is a better crafter down the road that I could better use my items with. And then the game ends, with me never have used those items.

Looking at the lists at the top of this thread, it almost seems like saving up your Fine Steel and Focusing Crystals for those last 2 Crafters may not be such a terrible idea.

That being said, I'd still get the Mercuric Leather from Galena in the Isles, a Bressed Breastplate from Gorp in Exodus, and Blessed Bracers (cheap, good Armor %, Hostile Effect Resist) from that Mandavian fellow.

The Warmaster Helm is arguably the best headwear in the game for any character who uses battle disciplines, thanks to the fatigue removal effect. You can get at least one of them elsewhere (I think there's a second, but I'm not sure), but I like to have one on every party member by the end of the game.

I think that's sort of the point, if you could get 1 of everything made the instant you meet the Crafter, there'd be no point to Crafting at all and they should just sell you everything for Coins.

Having limited materials and lots of choices is what makes the whole thing interesting/challenging.