Battle Alphas any good?[G5]

Battle Shaping is not broken, but in G1-G4 it was largely terrible. In G5 there's a good case to be made for it being the strongest.

Battle alpha aren't fantastic. They're solid melee combatants, but I'd stick with faster but slightly weaker bugs until you can start using rotghroths, which are much, much better.

—Alorael, who will rephrase his analysis. If you don't like thahds, you won't find much to like about battle alphas.

I'll second that. My melee-focused Shaper rushed the beginning and made 2 clawbugs to start. Another was added later, followed by 2 plated bugs. I absorbed the clawbugs and maybe plated bugs to make some alphas, but immediately went back to my pre-absorption save. I'm not sure how betas stack up if you can get them early, but leveled bugs beat fresh green alphas.

Originally Posted By: Tarson
Why so many? I go for 1 or 2 creations with some better skills over having 7 with about 0 upgrades.

I believe it has been determined that quantity is better than quality when dealing with any given creation. Most creations don't gain very much for each attribute point. Would you rather have one creation doing 150 damage or 2 creations doing 100 damage a piece?

And it has also been agreed that the extra killing power more than makes up for the decrease in exp.

Overall, I would recommend, with battle creations, at least, keeping your starting bugs and plated bugs with you until you can get rots. Alphas aren't all that much stronger than bugs when you consider how much the bugs have leveled. Not to mention, alphas just do physical damage, like thahds. Bugs poison, plated bugs hit twice, rots poison or acid or whatever, and tralls just rock!