G2: Feathered Token

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
... looking through the scripts doesn't turn up anything relevant either.

In the interests of learning how to fish for myself, how should i do this? GREPing for 'feathered token' finds nothing. Indeed when i search the file directly for 'token', i only get the lines of dialog where Syros hands a token over. Manually looking at the lines relating to that trash barrel [i only recognized it because i had recently seen the message in-game] shows the operative word was 'feathers' rather than 'feathered'.

So what i'm really asking, is there a better technique i could be using? I'm barely able to find things that i know exist, much less prove a negative...

As a general rule, search for the smallest possible chunk of text that should be exclusive to what you're looking for. In this case, you could search for "feather" because you can reasonably expect it to appear in every mention of these tokens but nowhere else. "Feathered token" is too specific and would miss phrasings like "feathery token", "feather token", or "token with feathers on". On the other hand, merely "token" is too broad if there are other tokens in the game and too narrow if there is any chance Jeff used words like "chit" or "symbol" to describe the same thing.

Another option is to search for the chunk of code that gives you the item in question, such as "set_spec_item(x,1)" which adds one of the special item numbered x to your pack. It should show up every time the game gives you one of this item.

I don't know if such a list exists, but it wouldn't be difficult for someone to make. The only reason I don't is time. However, if you know an item is found in a certain area, searching for the "set_spec_item" alone is probably enough. You could even search a number of areas to look for special items. It's just a matter of time...