traits to put on a priest

so,

I'm stuck with the question of what traits to put on my slith priest. He'll be the second character and therefore secondary tank, but also the only priest. The party consists of a Nephil fighter, Slith priest, and two human mages.

Divinely Touched, Elite Warrior and Pure Spirit all make sense. DT and EW would be better on a tank, but I guess that raising his priest skill all the way without PS will eat up all his skill points.

Also, due to the fact that racial weapon bonuses count towards battle disciplines, humans have now become totally useless in theory. I still take em, but it's such a gross imbalance that you really have to wonder why this made it past the beta.

For the party setup you're describing, Divinely Touched/Pure Spirit is probably the most efficient combination. Getting Priest Spells up to 17 is a real pain without Pure Spirit, and Divinely Touched makes you better at absolutely everything. Without the weight limit bonus from Elite Warrior, you might have to wear lighter armour sometimes, but your primary tank can pick up the slack. Greaves are the first thing you should ditch, since they add a lot of weight for a minimal protective benefit.

Elite Warrior trait slowly increases you carrying capacity. Really nice for fighters since they don't have to increase strength so quickly for thier heavy armor.

Divine Touch and Pure Spirit is usually the best way to go for getting priest spells and doing more with them. You can hold off on armor or put a little to strength to make a tank.

I decided against making the slith a priest and now have:

Nephil fighter

Slith fighter (EW+DT)

Human Mage

Human Mage/Priest

on second thought I like the mage/priest because it's the only viable character from a power perspective that really doesn't have a disadvantage from being a human. With pretty much all points going to Int, Mag, Pri, and later Magery, he wouldn't profit in any way from the Slith/Nephil bonuses. So YAY.

Every character benefits from slith and nephil bonuses to various weapon types because every character benefits from battle disciplines. Nephils and casters have even higher synergy, as you'll want to give them bows so they can do damage without wasting energy.

—Alorael, who is a big fan of the mage/priest. He's been using that setup since A1 and using it with nephils since A4. They're not optimal, probably, but they are effective enough to deal with Hard.

Originally Posted By: Love the cosine, hate the sin.
Every character benefits from slith and nephil bonuses to various weapon types because every character benefits from battle disciplines. Nephils and casters have even higher synergy, as you'll want to give them bows so they can do damage without wasting energy.

Making a mage/priest/archer with all the battle disciplines requires an enormous skill point investment, though. You'll either have to go Natural Mage/Pure Spirit (missing out on the very significant bonuses from Divinely Touched), or feed that character most of the knowledge brews you find to keep their spellcasting skills up to scratch. It's a good character build, but having more than one in a party can be difficult to manage.

Or you can make do without all of the battle disciplines (or all of the spells on one path or the other). I don't get to Randomizer-level discipline use, but even the low-level ones are helpful. It's quite reasonable to get Adrenaline Rush even without spending many or any skill points, and that's a huge boost for casters in itself.

—Alorael, whose characters often start out or spend some time as Doom Warrior describes. Eventually, though, all spells are worth having, and the incremental investments don't seem unreasonable.

Originally Posted By: Eat, Drink, and Be
Every character benefits from slith and nephil bonuses to various weapon types because every character benefits from battle disciplines. Nephils and casters have even higher synergy, as you'll want to give them bows so they can do damage without wasting energy

waste energy with firebolt? I don't think so.
As for the battle disciplines, withouth ever pumping the skill, the bonus alone may be enough to open up the first or second discipline - near the end of the game, mind you. That's not an advantage realistically speaking. It's more like saying 0,30$ is better than being broke.

Originally Posted By: SacredPath_82
As for the battle disciplines, withouth ever pumping the skill, the bonus alone may be enough to open up the first or second discipline - near the end of the game, mind you. That's not an advantage realistically speaking. It's more like saying 0,30$ is better than being broke.

Between racial bonuses, trainers, and weapons like the Discipline Blade, it's possible to get most of the battle disciplines on a mage by the Azure Gallery with only a moderate skill point investment.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl

Between racial bonuses, trainers, and weapons like the Discipline Blade, it's possible to get most of the battle disciplines on a mage by the Azure Gallery with only a moderate skill point investment.

3 points trained in bows = 1 point towards BD.

Still, if you do use trainers + items, the racial bonuses are, again, not really significant. Even less so on a character that acts as a priest first and as a mage only if need be. Especially if that character has very low health to begin with.

Still, humans are at an unfair disadvantage. There should be something to at least put them on par with the other races (i.e. faster spell point regeneration)

The idea is that you buy training for everything, even the skills you're not using. 3 points bows plus 3 points thrown plus 3 points melee plus 3 points pole = 9 points toward battle disciplines. Money is easy to come by. The racial bonuses are pretty significant too: 2 points toward battle disciplines to start with and another point every 6 levels. That's around 7 points by the later parts of the game. You can have Adrenaline Rush by Vahnatai Lands with practically zero skill point investment.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl

The idea is that you buy training for everything, even the skills you're not using. 3 points bows plus 3 points thrown plus 3 points melee plus 3 points pole = 9 points toward battle disciplines. Money is easy to come by. The racial bonuses are pretty significant too: 2 points toward battle disciplines to start with and another point every 6 levels. That's around 7 points by the later parts of the game. You can have Adrenaline Rush by Vahnatai Lands with practically zero skill point investment.

thing is, I can't see myself using battle disciplines on a priest/mage often, not if he's more of a priest, since disciplines only help your offense.

Still, I realize that humans are at a disadvantage overall. Even if you take into account that a party of 4 humans might have "an easier time" now and then, you'll be missing out on quests, which means missing out on monster XP, quest XP and items. So no advantage there either.

thing is, I can't see myself using battle disciplines on a priest/mage often, not if he's more of a priest, since disciplines only help your offense.

Bladeshield provides excellent protection from physical damage, and Adrenaline Rush is useful in all kinds of situations. Besides, even priests have offensive magic; Smite is a pretty good staple source of damage from the midgame onwards, and Divine Fire is almost as strong as Fireblast (the difference is only 8 points of damage).

You can't keep a character out of combat absolutely and all the time. Bladeshield helps. So does Adrenaline Rush, actually; you can use it to double cast, or you can just run very, very far.

—Alorael, who does not like the idea of a dead-weight healer/buffer priest. Your priest needs to contribute more. At the very least he needs to plink away with a bow, and then he still needs disciplines to help out.

Priests are very effective offensively in A5. It's a shame when you have to waste their turn healing and buffing. That's why I like to have more than one. In my current game I've got a mage(fighter), a priest(thief), a priest(mage), and a mage(priest). No battle disciplines yet (just reached Harkin's Landing), but they can deal some serious damage.

If you want mages to be anything but helpless, squishy targets they need to be Natural Mages with the full 25% armor load.

—Alorael, who also recommends keeping in mind that eventually the game throws enemies you can't take down quickly at you. You need tanks of some kind to keep them off your squishy damage-dealers. Priests could work, but they need to be prepared for it.

Originally Posted By: Out of the static
If you want mages to be anything but helpless, squishy targets they need to be Natural Mages with the full 25% armor load.

—Alorael, who also recommends keeping in mind that eventually the game throws enemies you can't take down quickly at you. You need tanks of some kind to keep them off your squishy damage-dealers. Priests could work, but they need to be prepared for it.

Aren't there several sets of armour that don't encumber? Although I still think Natural Mage would be a better choice than Elite Warrior.

By the way, what is all this nonsense about priests being 'wasted' or 'not pulling their weight' if they are mainly healing and buffing? A healed character's damage output is 100%, whereas an unconscious character's damage output is 0%. In otherwords, a devoted support priest just increased a party member's damage output from 0% to 100%. A similar argument applies to blessing and shielding spells.

Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug
By the way, what is all this nonsense about priests being 'wasted' or 'not pulling their weight' if they are mainly healing and buffing? A healed character's damage output is 100%, whereas an unconscious character's damage output is 0%. In otherwords, a devoted support priest just increased a party member's damage output from 0% to 100%. A similar argument applies to blessing and shielding spells.

If you have more than one priest in the party, you'll rarely need to spend all of their actions healing, so it's good if they can do things that aren't healing.

Originally Posted By: Untamed Banana Slug

It's also true that a dead enemy's damage output is 0%. Buffing and healing are fine; victory is better. >:-)

my priest always have a minimum of 4 mage to get haste so he can help in buff area during fights (and a bit later slow), also my mage has at least 4 of priest lvls to also help in buff area.

my priest helps with acid and firebolt at max lvls (they are cheap and good), acid being really good, hope they dont nerf it

Non-encumbering armor isn't a problem for a singleton, but it's not so common that equipping two or more mages with it is trivial.

—Alorael, who should instead say that it can be done, but you'll often have one character wearing armor that's behind the times and the area you're fighting through. And armor isn't an absolute necessity if you can protect your mages, but it definitely helps.

The difference in ACTUAL damage reduction between a complete set of non-encumbering armor, and a complete set of the strongest encumbering armor, is miniscule. The better armor never hurts, of course, but it is pretty much the least effective way of protecting your characters, and is therefore the least necessary.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Guided:Voices :: Expected:Nobody
The difference in ACTUAL damage reduction between a complete set of non-encumbering armor, and a complete set of the strongest encumbering armor, is miniscule. The better armor never hurts, of course, but it is pretty much the least effective way of protecting your characters, and is therefore the least necessary.

My gaming experience supports this statement. The armour difference between my priest with an encumbrance of 65 pounds and a mage with an encumbrance of 40 pounds was negligible. The ideal armour for a mage isn't the one with the highest defensive rating, anyway.