A1 can't add NPC Andrew in first position???

I have already added NPC Jay in first position (to get Elite Warrior trait) and have gotten my reputation up high enough to add Andrew (in Cotra). So I move the character originally in second position into first (Jay is now in second) and then delete my original character so that first position is vacant (I want Elite Warrior for Andrew). I ask Andrew to join, I am told he will appear in the first unused position and even appears in my list of characters so I can see his stats etc, but I am told, "Party placement failed. No room for all of you there." Then when I try to move, the game freezes up. What's wrong???

I tried to add Andrew in the fourth position (to get Natural Mage) and it works just fine.

I first thought it was actual tiles around my party so I tried many different locations leaving room in front, back, and to the side. The boat building area is fairly open. Still no luck. I even tried standing just outside the boat building area and still no luck.

I finally got frustrated and added him in position two since I didn't need Natural Mage. With my five build points, I gave him one level of Priest and taught him Heal up in Formello. However, he can't cast Heal, either in or out of combat. I even had him strip off all his gear and he still can't cast Heal (not in combat). Is he crippled or something?????

Oh wait, on that Priest spell problem. Andrew can't cast Priest spells, despite learning the first four spells (all needing only a level one Priest) because I didn't make him a level one Priest, I accidently made him a level one Mage....... DUH...... When in doubt, check even the obvious, and I hadn't checked his stats in the magic area since I first trained him.

I went back and tried again (using an old save just before I added Andrew) and tried to add Andrew in the number one spot again and again was not able, even trying in several different locations on the floor. I am able to add him in the number two or number four spots easily. This is still bothering me as I would consider starting again at that old save (only from yesterday so no great loss) if I could get him in position one with the Elite Warrior characteristic.

Could the problem be that I added Jay in that same number one spot for the same reason and the game won't let me do it a second time???

I'm not sure, but I think I added two NPCs using the same slot in one game. My memory often plays tricks on me, but I do think it's possible. Try leaving your first character in a char storeroom instead of deleting it, and it wouldn't hurt to re-install the game. You should do that once in a while, SpidWeb games get a little buggy after a while. If nothing helps and none of the great forum knowledge masters respond to your thread, consider emailing Jeff about it, he's vey helpful in that area.

I've never had a Spiderweb game suddenly become buggy.

—Alorael, who has no advice for fixing your problem. On the bright side, you can have Andrew join in any slot and use the editor to give him Elite Warrior. It's not cheating if you're using it to fix the glitchy engine.

I initially tried to leave my original character in storage in Fort Avernum. Unfortunately, since I had already done that once when I added my first NPC character, Jay, I could not do it again. There seem to be two character repository rooms at Fort Avernum but since I have already used one, the other one claims to be occupied too, with that same original character!!!

I have only visited a small number of towns in the game and have found no other character repository rooms (except for the two in Fort Avernum). Can anyone tell me where others can be found???

I followed your advice and used the editor to give Andrew the Elite Warrior attribute. My first time using the editor and it was ridiculously easy to do. Too damn easy, in my opinion. From now on I will have that in the back of my mind whenever I get in trouble in the game.

I am already having the moral question of whether to use the editor on my saved game right after adding Andrew (thus throwing away the gaming I have done since then, about one day's worth) OR to use it on my current save, taking advantage of the accelerated experience gained during that day without the Elite Warrior penalty.

I will be strong and use it on my save right after Andrew was added... probably.... I still wish I knew what the original problem was. If I find another character repository room, I will try it out on my old save game. Until then, thanks all !!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: PhysWiz
I initially tried to leave my original character in storage in Fort Avernum. Unfortunately, since I had already done that once when I added my first NPC character, Jay, I could not do it again. There seem to be two character repository rooms at Fort Avernum but since I have already used one, the other one claims to be occupied too, with that same original character!!!

All the character repositories are linked. I thought you could store more than one character, but after checking it appears you cannot. (Perhaps I'm thinking of how it works in A2.) You're out of luck.

Quote:
I am already having the moral question of whether to use the editor on my saved game right after adding Andrew (thus throwing away the gaming I have done since then, about one day's worth) OR to use it on my current save, taking advantage of the accelerated experience gained during that day without the Elite Warrior penalty.

The amount of extra experience you gained won't add up to much in the end. If you'd rather not replay a day's worth of adventuring, go for it.

Dikiyoba.

I have a theory, just from hearing...

Perhaps, when you have only three characters and nobody in slot one, the person in slot two is thus the first person in your lineup. If you try to add a person to the first slot, they would normally appear in that first area on screen... however, since party member two is standing in the square in the lineup, the first spot is filled, it doesn't see it as the secon location, and thus tries to put the new character into the same location as another and thus bugs out.

Did that make any sense to anyone other than me? Ahehe...

Originally Posted By: Chessrook44
I have a theory, just from hearing...

Perhaps, when you have only three characters and nobody in slot one, the person in slot two is thus the first person in your lineup. If you try to add a person to the first slot, they would normally appear in that first area on screen... however, since party member two is standing in the square in the lineup, the first spot is filled, it doesn't see it as the secon location, and thus tries to put the new character into the same location as another and thus bugs out.

Did that make any sense to anyone other than me? Ahehe...

Except for, y'know, the part where he said he was able to add another NPC in the first slot successfully.

You can always turn the Editor off, of course. You won't be able to reactivate it without hacking the game files themselves, and you will probably have a much easier time playing the game the way it's supposed to be - but I don't advise you do it. If you should ever get stuck in a black wall or a town get angry at you for no reason, you'll need it.

I'm surprised you can only store one character in A1. It's been a while, even for me! You could simply add the stored char back to your party and then delete it to make room in the repositories...