what could of been....[G5]

Actually, it probably wouldn't be unbalanced. If you have the essence and you're willing to spend an action point, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

—Alorael, who also isn't sure how useful it would be. If you have the essence you're probably better off shaping something first. The only time it's likely to come up is if you have seven creations already and need to replace one during battle.

That seems unlikely when any remotely reasonable programming would just add a check when clicking the shaping button. In combat mode? No shaping. Remove that check and everything would be fine.

—Alorael, who could potentially see problems with placing new creatures or putting them somewhere in the turn order. These problems seem eminently surmountable.

I think Jeff didn't want to program the extra code.

I could see being able to shape in combat would be a distinct advantage to a player with a big supply of essence pods. A steady stream of replacement creations to run out their and wear down opponents while you sit back in safety.

I just ment that it might have been fun to be able to keep shaping troops, because I shape 7 betas and other medium creations then send them in (this is useful for clearing areas if there are say unbound, you surround them and if a beta dies I replace), if one dies I would have liked to be able to replace it rather then wait for them all to die.

This might be only true for geneforge 1-3,but I have never seen anything but spawners make a creation in combat. There have been shades but it says that they only last awhile and they are only good for summoning a last quick defence. a crystal that summons a creation had been made by hoge in g3, but I dont think shaping can be done fast enough to do it when someone is trying to kill you.