A4 - Where do you get the Hrickis quest?

madrigan

I'm playing A4 for the fourth or fifth time, and for the fourth or fifth time I have killed Hrickis, and for the fourth or fifth time I cannot find anyone who gives you a quest to kill him. I've talked to the herbalist out there, and various farmers, and they all tell me about Hrickis, but there doesn't seem to be any quest. They do thank me, though. So is there an actual quest for this?

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Graham is the guard captain in Formello and his office is just south of the west gate.

The quest gets posted on the job board after you finish and claim reward for the rat quest, I think. It doesn't appear until after you've done most of the quests in the area.

Thanks everybody. That explains it, because I don't think I've ever completed that rat quest. I can never find enough rats. All Graham says to me is, "go away until you've done something useful, grrr blah blah shade." I'm at the Tower of Magi now, but maybe I will go back and try to find some more rats. Maybe if I do the Letter From Giscard quest, there are some more rats in those locations...?

Originally Posted By: madrigan

Thanks everybody. That explains it, because I don't think I've ever completed that rat quest. I can never find enough rats. All Graham says to me is, "go away until you've done something useful, grrr blah blah shade." I'm at the Tower of Magi now, but maybe I will go back and try to find some more rats. Maybe if I do the Letter From Giscard quest, there are some more rats in those locations...?

Rats "respawn" to that area bit often so just keep opening storagerooms doors and getting away from that area helps too.

Originally Posted By: madrigan
That was the problem. I went back to some of the storerooms I had already cleared and was surprised to find them re-infested.

heh, yeah that's the point and some rats (or other monsters) also came from underground near Hrickis lair.

I could almost bet that we see Hrickis in A6 too.

• 3 weeks later...

He's in A4 and clearly dead and miserable. That's very different from H(i)rickis, who is just still there.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind an essentially inconsequential but amusing recurring very bad mastermind of a villain. It would add character to the rest of the series. All one of it, anyway.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Earth2025
i wouldn't be surprised even if we saw erika again.
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Erika returned eventually, probably as some kind of vengeful spirit. She certainly seems the type for that.

I vote for that! Maybe at the end of A6 we'll get a Return of the Jedi-style scene with the ghosts of Erika, Micah, and Patrick.

Jeff has seemed committed to Erika's disappearance from the series, but I wouldn't mind seeing more of her either. She's one of the handful of characters who got some kind of development, and she's one of the central Avernites.

—Alorael, who wants the series to end with a massive battle among Erika, Rentar-Ihrno, Grah-Hoth, Garzahd, and Prazac. Dorikas belongs in there for completeness, probably. And interestingly enough, they all really do represent different factions, except Grah-Hoth, who mostly represents the destruction of everything.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
I keep holding out that X with his interest in necromancy in A4 is working on a way to bring Erika back. This game has shown that death isn't a barrier to returning.

Though, knowing X, he'd probably only bring her back so that he can continue his life's one true work!

I really hope that, if X is around in A6, we finally get that spell.

Originally Posted By: feo takahari
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
What I'd like to know is if X ever finished his anvil-flinging spell.

I suspect that spell will be finished around the same time as the potion in A2 that was supposed to make you breathe fire. That is to say, it won't ever be finished.

yeah only "few" hundred years has passed between games so no big rush.

Originally Posted By: Redundant Magic Object of Redundancy
Alorael, who doesn't think X knows how to hurry. Or how to do most things. He's definitely an idiot savant of the wizard world.
I say he's just nuttier than a sack of almonds, with enough power to claim that he's not nuttier than a sack of almonds.

I think we agree. He's clearly a gifted mage, and he's at least presumably a gifted researcher and creator of spells. His ability to actually interact with the world he lives in is rather limited, though. He's been through most of the major crises of Avernum's history, but he hasn't done anything.

—Alorael, who is even more suspicious of what would happen if he did succeed in hurling anvils. What would a man like X do? More importantly, what wouldn't he do?

Originally Posted By: Custom PDN
I don't think even a century has passed. Even a few non-mage characters from A1 are still around. They're old, but they're around.

—Alorael, who doesn't think X knows how to hurry. Or how to do most things. He's definitely an idiot savant of the wizard world.

then dragons were killed quickly between a3 and a4.

Originally Posted By: Custom PDN
Alorael, who is even more suspicious of what would happen if he did succeed in hurling anvils. What would a man like X do? More importantly, what wouldn't he do?
Maybe once he masters the anvil-flinging spell, he'll then modify the spell and learn to juggle using the anvils.