Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About homer

  • Birthday 02/19/1997

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    United States
  • Favorite Games
    Classic RPGs, Terraria, Starbound, Elder Scrolls, roguelikes

Recent Profile Visitors

912 profile views

homer's Achievements

Curious Artila

Curious Artila (3/17)

  1. I gotta say, salty licorice is amazing and you're really missing out if you don't try it. It takes a couple pieces to acquire the taste, the first one you try is nasty but only the first. Once you've acquired the taste there's nothing else like it. Now more things for you to rank: the BitTorrent protocol Kierkegaard King Leopold ontology The War on Drugs (the band) a hypothetical box which has a 97% chance to be filled with cuddly kittens, but a 3% of being filled with hundreds of dead rats yourself
  2. Alright: birthdays vitamin C supplements file compression
  3. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt. I'm late to the party, but I was so sick of hearing about it in 2013 that I didn't want to read it then. Ordered a used copy online recently and found Donna Tartt's signature in it. I started last Friday and I'm already 300 pages in, which is really fast for me. It's a real page-turner, which I don't understand because the events are not particularly exciting. Donna Tartt has a way of making mundane stuff interesting.
  4. You are a: Communist Pro-Government Interventionist Bleeding-Heart Libertine Collectivism score: 100%Authoritarianism score: 17%Internationalism score: 17%Tribalism score: -100%Liberalism score: 83% The second and third descriptors are really inaccurate for me. I think the test is working with certain assumptions that don’t hold up under alternative government systems.
  5. Suddenly got the urge for hot sauce, even though I’ve hardly eaten anything spicy in my life. So I walked out to the dollar store and picked up some Frank’s Red Hot. I love the heat but I’m not a fan of the flavor. Any recommendations on what to pick up next? Is Sriracha good?
  6. I'm either really boring or really minimalistic. You decide. https://i.imgur.com/OToorj8.png
  7. homer

    2014 Movies

    I think the only 2014 movie I saw was the third Hobbit movie. It was okay, maybe 6/10. I wasn't horribly bored by the action scenes like in the second movie.
  8. I use Chrome on my crappy laptop because they do a good job making it "feel" light, even though it's probably the heaviest browser. If you're looking purely for actual lightness, Firefox can be configured quite a bit. There are also a bunch of super minimalistic browsers like Midori, but most of them (including Midori) are not stable yet and can have trouble with things.
  9. I finally started Crime and Punishment recently. It's probably the most complex novel I've ever read, but it's still easier to follow than I expected. I'm surprised at how little is happening, considering the size of the book. I read about 1/10 of the books the other day, and it was all a conversation in one room. Dostoevsky somehow makes it feel like things are moving along though. For the record, I'm reading the Constance Garnett translation with revisions (the nature of which I'm not sure of ). I would hold off for the more expensive Pevear and Volokhonsky translation, but I've read excerpts online and it just isn't as readable to me.
  10. I'm not a law expert but I remember reading in a few places that legal disclaimers like that are completely pointless. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/IDoNotOwn
  11. Extraversion: 2 Your score on Extraversion is low, indicating you are introverted, reserved, and quiet. You enjoy solitude and solitary activities. Your socializing tends to be restricted to a few close friends. Agreeableness: 99 Your high level of Agreeableness indicates a strong interest in others' needs and well-being. You are pleasant, sympathetic, and cooperative. Conscientiousness: 43 Your score on Conscientiousness is average. This means you are reasonably reliable, organized, and self-controlled. Neuroticism: 99 Your score on Neuroticism is high, indicating that you are easily upset, even by what most people consider the normal demands of living. People consider you to be sensitive and emotional. Openness to Experience: 88 Your score on Openness to Experience is high, indicating you enjoy novelty, variety, and change. You are curious, imaginative, and creative. Not sure about the neuroticism one but the rest of the results seem pretty accurate to me.
  12. I bought a fancy book of Bradbury's short stories from Amazon a couple months ago. I've been picking at it between books. The introduction was interesting. He never had a driver's license. He hated ebooks, the internet, and for the most part computers. He said in an interview about the internet, "Who do you want to talk to? All those morons who are living across the world somewhere? You don't even want to talk to them at home." He seemed really stuck in his own time. Still, he's one of my favorite writers.
  13. I just spray the air into my laptop's vents without disassembling anything. It shakes the dust around and most of it ends up coming out. I'm not sure if my method is entirely safe, but I've been doing it with this laptop for three years without a problem. I spray every 1-2 months.
  14. Try spraying the vents with a can of compressed air if you haven't. I came close to buying a cooling pad but I learned about that, and now my laptop never overheats.
  15. I picked up a 1909 copy of the Aeneid. It's an old translation (the one Project Gutenberg has) but it's more readable than most things that old. So far it's like the Lord of the Rings and a super hero movie mashed into one.
  • Create New...