XP Avernum 4 demo unhandled exception on MSI Wind

Elwro

Hi, I completed the first three Avernum 3 games. I decided to try the fourth one on my new MSI Wind U100 netbook. Unfortunately, it always tells me my computer's resolution and color depth is not set up properly, and that I should allow A4 to set it itself, and then displays an

"Unhandled exception: c0000005

At address: 0040293e"

error. I reinstalled DirectX. I tried these resolution settings:

800x600 16-bit

800x600 32-bit

1024x600 16-bit

1024x600 32-bit

always with the same result. (I of course expected A4 to change the resolution itself.) I'd appreciate some help since I like both Spiderweb games and the MSI Wind :-) (Using Windows XP.)

Well, I'm no Windows expert, but there have been problems running certain games. I think there's something called compatibility mode that helps. I've never heard of this kind of error before. And what's the deal with the hex weirdness? The only thing I can think of is running it under compatibility mode. I think Avernum uses Thousands of Colors mode, but I don't know for sure. Or if that exists on Widows. Sorry if I'm not much help!

Unfortunately, still nothing. I installed the latest drivers for my graphics card and still get the same error.

BTW, the game says the resolution should be 800x600 with a 16-bit palette; while the game page says it requires 1024x768. My screen has 1024x600; could this be the reason even though the game itself says otherwise?

edit: I just found that the demo of Geneforge 1 works flawlessly.

Originally Posted By: Elwro
Unfortunately, still nothing. I installed the latest drivers for my graphics card and still get the same error.

BTW, the game says the resolution should be 800x600 with a 16-bit palette; while the game page says it requires 1024x768. My screen has 1024x600; could this be the reason even though the game itself says otherwise?

edit: I just found that the demo of Geneforge 1 works flawlessly.

There's your problem. What the game says is wrong. It runs at 1024x768. You will not be able to run it on a smaller screen.