9th Contest - Heads Up

BainIhrno

Just a reminder, the 9th Contest deadline is a week from today. (August 1, 2008.) If you have a scenario you would like to enter, do so here. We have a total of 5 entries so far.

Despite the low #, I don't plan to extend the deadline even if this is all we have. Considering that there are so many scenarios that could be in and aren't (and most of the designers ARE around), extending the deadline will change nothing. (By this, I mean that we go ahead with the contest no matter what.)

If you'd like to judge, sign up here. I am also officially appointing Tyranicus to be the scenario host.

Also, this is how the contest results are going to be determined:

For the first round, you will score the from 1 to 10. The highest in the

category wins. For the other scenarios to advance to Best Scenario Judging, they must be within 80% of the top score. Best Scenario Judging, well, most of you know the drill. All Best Scenario judges rank the scenarios from best to worst. If a judge has a scenario in Best Scenario, the results will be calculated carefully so that the judge's scenario is not affected. It worked for the 8th Contest, the 1/10 Contest, and the 24 Hr Contest, so it will work here. There will be no forums involved in this contest, everything will be anonymous. The judging criteria is up to the judge, except that favoring BoE over BoA or vice versa is not allowed.

Have fun in the contest!

I was really hoping I could at least get A Living Nightmare into it, but I guess it is impossible now.

Edit - I just though of something. Can I put my scenario into the contest before the beta testing is complete? And that after the contest I can release it when the beta testing stage is complete?

I would assume that you would use the second submission option and send in the scenario to the email address given in the other thread. You could always mark the copy something like "Prerelease version for contest judging, please do not distribute." I recall hearing that Lazarus did something like that with his Tales scenarios because he was submitting them to the contest before he was ready to release the whole set.

I'm torn. BoR is almost ready, and I could release and enter it if I wanted to. On the one hand, it's about the technical tricks rather than story, having virtually none of the latter, and was never intended to be a contest competitor. Based on past observation I would expect it our typical judging group to take a rather dim view of it. On the other hand, I'd almost like to inflict it on you so you'd have to figure out whether a scenario with 1 town played 120 times is small or large.

Originally Posted By: Nikki.
Mike Lazarus did indeed do that, as did most of the 24hour contest entrants. The only person to actually release the scenario in the wake of the contest was Smoo, I think, and, I feel he ought to retroactively win for that alone.

I daresay, you lie. I released Darkness when the contest came around.